Photo by Drew Reynolds.

Syracuse Noise-punk band Perfect Pussy has confirmed, after a brief cancellation, that their Nov. 22 show at Gabba Hey! will happen.

On Nov. 13, Spectrasonic listed the event as cancelled, to the immediate dismay of fans, but on Nov. 15 it was announced the show would still happen.

Keyboardist/producer Shaun Sutkus said “we’re still doing Ottawa. I think we’re going to make it. . . Shit is crazy dude, it’s so insane to organize everything.”

Ottawa’s Big Dick and Blue Angel are slated to open, and in spite of the common themes of the band names, all share a similar experimental punk mentality.

Perfect Pussy’s 2014 album Say Yes To Love blurs elements of noise and hardcore into frenetic waves of sound as abrasive as Royal Trux but as catchy as Taylor Swift. The album is one of the most essential musical statements of the year, and has fittingly gained critical acclaim from publications such as Pitchfork and Rolling Stone.

Sutkus said his production on the album was influenced by a broad range of factors.

“Steve Albini is an influence. Not in his recording techniques, but I really admire his sound. It’s really raw. That’s a big influence on my production goals. As far as music is concerned, I listen to so much music it’s crazy. Miley Cyrus to John Cage,” he said.

“I draw influence from everything. Going for walks in my neighbourhood. Depression. Anxiety. Those are influences too.”

Sutkus said recreating the album in a live setting isn’t something the band aims to do.

“It’s a totally different thing. Like us playing live listening back to the record, You’re going to hear that it’s a different experience. We don’t even try to recreate it live,” he said.

Sutkus talked particularly about how he wanted the material to sound live, stressing the difficulties of achieving an ideal sound while hopping from venue to venue.

“Most of the time there’s, like, some asshole mixing who doesn’t give a fuck about his job. If somebody cares about what they’re doing, it will usually translate pretty well, but not necessarily the same way that I would hear,” he said.

“Everyone hears things differently and good sounds are different to every single person.”