– File photo

Despite some close games, the Carleton Ravens women’s hockey team is still winless against the University of Ottawa (U of O) Gee-Gees following the fourth out of five regular season meetings between the two teams. This time, the Ravens fell by a score of 5-2 on Jan. 13 at the Ice House as part of the annual Pink in the Rink event, a fundraiser to help fight cancer.

U of O opened the scoring when the puck was deflected off Gee-Gees forward Alex Lafleur’s stick, then hit a defender, and was swatted in over Ravens goaltender Katelyn Steele’s head.

The Ravens pushed back with Carleton defender Valerie Bouillon quickly registering two hard shots from the point. Bouillon also lead the way defensively, as she blocked several key shots throughout the game.

“[Bouillon’s] a leader, an assistant captain and she brings a lot to the table,” said Ravens head coach Pierre Alain.

The Gee-Gees extended that lead on a power play early in the second period, when a cross-crease pass hit U of O forward Shanie Deschatelets’ stick and deflected under Steele’s arm.

Not long after, the Ravens got a power play opportunity of their own. Ravens forward Nicole Miners stepped up for Carleton and sniped the top corner to cut the lead in half.

The third period started with sustained pressure from the Gee-Gees. Steele continued her solid season by making several saves to keep it a one goal game.

The Ravens gained momentum following a big penalty kill, and shortly after, the Ice House erupted in excitement as fans celebrated Delaney Ross’ game tying goal.

The excitement was short lived after the Ravens ran into penalty trouble thirty seconds later. Steele made a routine save but was pushed after she covered the puck.

Her teammates rushed to her defence and the ensuing scrum saw Miners receive a double-minor for a check to the head.

The penalty proved costly for Carleton as U of O scored two power play goals in the final five minutes, along with an empty-net goal to secure the 5-2 victory.

The Gee-Gees’ power play has been lethal this year, operating at 22 per cent. Much of this power play success is the work of RSEQ-leading scorer Melodie Bouchard.

“We played well, the five last minutes were a nightmare. That’s it. That’s the difference,” Alain said. “And you cannot let [U of O] have too much power play [time], they’re going to kill you.”

Despite the disappointing last five minutes, there were positives for the Ravens to draw on, according to Alain. He praised the team’s much improved shots against total.

“The first game they had 40-some shots and tonight they had 20,” he said. “We have a young team. They’re improving every game. This game was a very good game till the end of the game.”

Carleton will continue their playoff push on Jan. 19 at the Ice House when they take on U of O for the final time during the regular season.

With only seven games remaining, a win against U of O is crucial in order to rise in the standings and earn a playoff berth. Carleton currently sits fifth in their division and trails fourth place Concordia Stingers by four points.

“[W]e need to push extra hard because we haven’t made the playoffs in quite a few years and this team is the team that needs to do it and can do it because of what all the players are like,” Miners said. “We’re really skilled this year.”