A 30-year-old woman is in serious but stable condition after being struck by a vehicle at the Sunnyside and Bronson Avenue entrance to campus Oct. 17, according to an Ottawa police media spokesperson.

The woman’s condition is critical but non-life threatening, and police have charged 20-year-old Christina McPherson with careless driving, according to Ottawa police.

"We have no indications that anyone from Carleton was involved," said Allan Burns, Carleton's director of university safety.

At about 8:15 p.m., two vehicles were travelling southbound on Bronson Avenue when the 20-year-old's blue Toyota veered into the right lane and hit a silver van, police said.

The silver van then brought down a traffic light and jumped a curb, striking a pedestrian in the process, before coming to rest on the grass in front of the cement Carleton University sign, said Ottawa police Sgt. Greg Borger.

By 8:45 p.m., the pedestrian had already been taken to hospital.

The silver van had damage to the front driver’s side portion of the car, while the blue Toyota had damage to both the front and rear passenger side doors.

Due to the exposure of live wire from the fallen traffic light, the City of Ottawa shut off power at Bronson and Sunnyside shortly after the accident, Borger said, which caused a minor traffic jam. But power had been reinstated as of 9:30 p.m.

— with files from Catharine Tunney