[Photo from file]

Carleton University is ramping up its efforts for a “safe and sustainable” Panda Game ahead of the annual football event between the Carleton Ravens and uOttawa Gee-Gees at TD Place on Saturday.

Carleton student ambassadors are distributing door hangers in Old Ottawa South and the Glebe with information on the event and COVID-19 safety measures. Following the game, student ambassadors will complete a post-game cleanup of any debris in the neighbourhoods.

The Ottawa Police Service also announced on Wednesday it plans to have an increased presence in downtown neighbourhoods “to ensure safe and law-abiding celebrations.”

“Officers will be observing for unsafe activity, trespassing, public drinking and intoxication and other social disorder issues,” the service said in a statement.

The measures come ahead of the first Panda Game in two years—an event that is frequently a cause for concern among community members.

READ: Opinion: An open letter to pandemic partygoers

In 2018, residents of Sandy Hill took issue with parties in their neighbourhood and the response of police.

“By letting these parties take place year after year, the city and the police are sending a message that this is normal,” Susan Young, former president of Action Sandy Hill, told CBC at the time. “We’re saying it’s not normal and it’s not acceptable.”

In 2019, Carleton and the Carleton University Students’ Association (CUSA) ran community programs similar to those underway this year. On the other side of town, police drew criticism for their response to a large uOttawa street party on Russell Avenue. That year, police dumped 1,600 drinks and issued 42 alcohol-related charges.

Shawn Menard, Ottawa city councillor for Capital ward—which includes Old Ottawa South and the Glebe—said he’s “pretty satisfied” with Carleton’s efforts this year.

“There’s been a lot more mitigation happening and I’m content with the plans that Carleton’s put in place,” Menard told the Charlatan. “I’m hoping we’re not going to see a bunch of rowdiness and disturbing people and potential injuries.”

An additional concern unique to this year’s game is the spread of COVID-19. Fans attending the game at TD Place are required to be fully vaccinated and wear masks when not eating or drinking to help reduce potential spread, but street and house parties are unlikely to follow the same guidelines.

Menard said he’s confident in the work TD Place and Carleton have done to limit the spread of COVID-19.

“I’m content with the parameters Carleton’s putting in place and some of their work to get information out to students and the community,” Menard said.

In an emailed statement to the Charlatan, Ottawa Public Health (OPH) said it shared a communication plan for social media on COVID-19 with Panda Game partners, including Carleton.

OPH also said it delivered mental health and substance use resources to Carleton and uOttawa to distribute in their door-knocking campaigns.

The Panda Game will take place Oct. 2 in front of a sold-out reduced capacity crowd of 15,000. Carleton has lost two consecutive Panda Games following a four-game win streak from 2014 to 2017.

The Ravens are 1-1 this season and picked up their first win of the season on the road against the York University Lions on Sept. 25. Quarterback Tanner DeJong was injured in the game, leaving open the question of who will start at Panda.

Despite the injury, Menard—a Carleton alumnus—still believes the Ravens will win. He placed a friendly wager on the game with Rideau-Vanier city councillor and uOttawa alumnus Mathieu Fleury, with the losing councillor having to wear a jersey of the opposing school at the next council meeting.

“I don’t think he has a shirt that will fit me so Carleton has to win,” Menard said.

Featured image from file.