Pedro the Panda is the illustrious prize given to the winning team, once double zeros show on the game clock. For those living west of the 401, it’s just another game; for students in the nation’s capital, it’s a smashmouth tradition.

The very first Panda Game was played at Lansdowne Park in 1955, with the Carleton Ravens taking the win. Fifty years later, Panda Game has seen varied results between both teams.

On Sept. 29, the Carleton University Ravens and the University of Ottawa (U of O) Gee-Gees will face off in the 50th annual Panda Game. Both teams are riding win streaks, sitting atop the Ontario University Athletics (OUA) standings second and third, respectively.

Over recent years, the Panda Game has earned its reputation  being one of the most anticipated rivalry games in Canadian university sports, matching in popularity with the Vanier and Grey Cups. It is one of the oldest rivalries in Canadian university football.

Click here for a timeline of key, historical Panda moments

Check out the key historical moments with Panda game timeline https://infogram.com/timeline-dark-1h8n6mkk8zy92xo?live

Having played on the team for four years, former Ravens receiver Nate Behar, who left the team after the 2016-17 season, commented on the crosstown rivalry and how his team gained momentum before the game.

“I don’t think any other rivalry touches Panda. It’s just electric,” Behar said. “From a football standpoint, we’re always close with Ottawa U and that adds another level of intensity.”

There’s always been a history of great Panda Games played between these two teams. For starters, U of O leads the all-time series 32-17.

In that span, the Gee-Gees have put up big numbers, with 358-110 points for (PF) to points against (PA) total.

To make matters interesting, some games have had their fair share of playoff implications. Most memorably, back in 2016, when the Ravens tied the Gee-Gees in the standings but earned the tiebreaker with their PF total.

“Although Panda is considered another game, it usually has a lot of playoff implications,” former Ravens quarterback Jesse Mills, who also left after 2016-17 season, said. “Depending on who comes out of this game, it can really change the seeding down the road.

Mills, who famously threw a game-winning 55-yard touchdown catch to Behar in the final play to win the 2014 Panda Game, also noted the importance of the Panda Game for both schools outside the field.

“There’s so much tradition that there’s more to it than just the game, but that kind of helps you prepare,” Mills said. “The city has also gotten really involved. It’s not a segregated community, rather everyone coming together in one place.”

Carleton’s Panda Game win streak hasn’t come without its challenges—The team’s last challenge came in the 2013 Panda Game where the Ravens lost in a devastating 35-10.

From 1998 to 2013, the Gee-Gees were the only collegiate football team in Ottawa but that was erased after negotiations and fundraising of a long-awaited Carleton Ravens football team.

The first recruits were none other than Mills and Behar.

Regardless of age, there’s always going to be that Panda spirit left on the inside.

In every game, however, Mills shares one underlying message for all: “At the end of the day, enjoying the moment is what it comes down to.”

Looking for his fifth win in five years, head coach Steve Sumarah had led the Ravens to one of their best regular seasons starts since 2016. Despite the excitement surrounding the game, Sumarah said his team has been looking forward to Panda Game since the start of the season.

“The thing about Panda is you never have to hype [it], and you never have to talk about it because it’s everywhere.”

Photo from Carleton Archives