Home Culture & Community Palestinian march marks first student action of the academic year as divestment...

Palestinian march marks first student action of the academic year as divestment talks remain stalled

132
Student advocates gather at Carleton University's academic quad to demand accountability from the administration on Sept. 12. [Photo by Murray Oliver/The Charlatan]

Starting the school year with the reminder that there are no universities left in Gaza, Carleton University students marched across campus on Sept. 12 to demonstrate their solidarity with the Palestinian cause. 

Eventually gathering in the academic quad , students demanded Carleton disclose its investments and divest from companies and organizations linked to Israeli settlements on occupied Palestinian territory.  

Dozens of student protesters marched across campus, with chants such as “Our tuition for education, not for bombs and occupation” echoing through the university midday. The march began near Alumni Hall, with several Ottawa Police Service (OPS) cars nearby.

OPS media relations confirmed officers were at Carleton for the demonstration in an email statement provided to the Charlatan, stating they were “supporting Carleton University Safety Services.”

Alongside the Carleton 4 Palestine (C4P) coalition, Independent Jewish Voices (IJV) Carleton chapter president Nir Hagigi said amid ongoing conversations with Carleton University Students’ Association, he is aware the majority of Carleton students want accountability from the administration. 

“It’s clear that the students want something done and that’s [what] the C4P is trying to do the best that they can,” Hagigi said. “We now represent the majority of the student population.”

According to Hagigi, divestment talks with Carleton’s Senate have stalled over the summer and students have been waiting for a response. He said the easiest solution is for the administration to “come back to the table” and meet with coalition representatives. 

“[The university] needs to make sure that they are listening to our demands,” Hagigi said. “This is not a movement that’s going to be shut down.”

One of the organizers from the C4P coalition said they have been working several avenues to negotiate with the university about divestment and boycotting companies that are directly involved with Israeli settlement activity.

The organizer asked that their name not be mentioned as they desire privacy and fear repercussions.

They said the leaked document showing Carleton’s alleged involvement with companies involved in weapons manufacturing demonstrates that students need to see full transparency and accountability from university administration. 

“What this really was was an opportunity to engage the student body,” they said. “You have the right to protest, you have the right to speak up.

“Everyone’s scared to say something, no one really wants to stand up.”

In a Sept. 13 emailed statement to the Charlatan, Steven Reid, Carleton’s media relations officer, said the safety of the campus community was “our top priority.”

“We respect the right to assemble and protest, but all protest activities, including those that took place yesterday, must remain peaceful, lawful, and in accordance with Carleton’s policies,” Reid’s statement reads.

Amelia, an IJV Carleton executive who chose not to give her full name for fear of safety and professional repercussions, said she tries to attend as many Palestinian demonstrations as she can, especially on Carleton’s campus. She said she’s been mobilized into action since Oct. 7.

“We have power in numbers,” Amelia said. “I feel like I should have done better. [Palestine] has always been on my radar but for my conscience now, unavoidable, in the last year.”

Kevin Gracequist, a third-year Carleton physics student, said he heard about the protest at a climate activist meeting and decided to join to show his solidarity with the Palestinian people. 

“Universities across the country are quiet and I don’t think that’s right,” Gracequist said. “The simple bottom-of-the-barrel problem is to be transparent about their stance.”

The organizer from the C4P coalition urged Carleton students to engage in conversations surrounding Palestinian and Jewish student diasporas.

“What students can do is just join,” the organizer said. “It’s not just chanting, there is a message being said.”

Featured image by Murray Oliver/The Charlatan.