Ottawa Police Service central station is located on Elgin Street near Ottawa's downtown core [Photo from file]

After a lengthy meeting that ended up taking place over two nights and saw dozens of public speakers, the Ottawa Police Services Board (OPSB) approved a smaller funding hike than originally requested by police.

The Ottawa Police Service had originally proposed a 2.86 per cent increase over 2021 levels, giving the OPS an extra $14 million dollars. However, the board unanimously approved an amendment on Tuesday night that lowered the tax levy to 2 per cent and slimmed the proposed budget by $2.65 million.

The motion was proposed by Rawlson King, city councillor for Rideau-Rockcliffe and seconded by Carol Anne Meehan, city councillor for Gloucester-South Nepean. King said the amendment gives police the money they need and also addresses community concerns on police budgets.

“I just want you to know that I’ve introduced this motion because we all know that reimagining public safety requires seeking balance,” King said.

Ottawa police chief Peter Sloly cautioned board members, saying that if other issues like housing, education, health, transportation and infrastructure do not receive greater investments, the motion would be less effective.

Sloly emphasized if a new community-based safety system is arranged and certain calls do not get directed to police, “that service will respond effectively, appropriately, differently and ideally better.”

“If this is just a budget cut to the cops to satisfy a group of very determined allegations, the risks are all there for people to see,” he added.

The decision came in the wake of multiple protests against a police budget increase earlier this week, including a blockade at the on-ramp to Highway 417 at the corner of Metcalfe and Isabella Street and a rally at the Human Rights Monument.

After the draft budget and amendment were approved, community groups who have previously called on the city to redirect funding to other social services or freeze the budget at 2021 levels said the increase was still too much.

Horizon Ottawa, an Ottawa-based community group, issued a statement that called the decision “a half measure that doesn’t go far enough to further real community safety.”

OPSB chair and Gloucester-Southgate councillor Diane Deans said she will introduce a motion at city council to redirect the funds saved by the amendment towards developing mental health crisis response teams.

The budget will be considered for approval by Ottawa city council on Dec. 8.

Featured image from file.