From an early age, the sport of ice hockey was ingrained into Jordyn Pimm’s veins. 

Pimm was born in Kamloops, British Columbia and grew up in a household where her father was a Western Hockey League (WHL) and British Columbia Hockey League (BCHL) coach.

“I spent most of my childhood being a rink rat. One day—I think I was five or six—my parents just asked me if I wanted to play, and I said yes unquestionably, and since then I haven’t really stopped,” Pimm said. 

Jordyn Pimm, Ottawa native, will play right wing at Carleton next season. [Photo provided by LindenWood Athletics]
At the age of 13, Pimm’s family made the move to Ottawa and settled down in Kanata. There, Pimm began playing for the Ottawa Lady Senators, where she met Leah Scott, current captain of the Carleton Ravens women’s hockey team. It’s the same team that Pimm would later start playing for eight years later. 

“I think, my most memorable year with the Lady Sens, was probably my second year of bantam, so 2013-2014. We had a really, really great group of girls, who most of us went on to play college hockey,” Pimm recalled. 

The team went onto rank nationally at the bantam (ages 13 to 14) level, but faced a season of ups and downs, going on a streak of winning three or tournaments in a row, but disappointing at the provincial tournament.

Despite that, “it was a really great environment to be a young hockey player,” she added. 

Following her time with the Ottawa Lady Senators, Pimm made her way to Stanstead, Quebec, where she began playing for the women’s hockey program at Stanstead College, where her father currently coaches.

After losing in the finals her junior year, Pimm’s team placed first in the league and went onto win the championship.

“To be able to come back from a loss with predominantly the same group of teammates, I think it really showed a lot of character,” she added. 

Once she graduated from Stanstead College, Pimm headed to St. Louis, Missouri, where she would spend the next three years playing NCAA hockey for the Lindenwood University Lady Lions. 

Pimm had never planned to attend school in the U.S., but she found it offered a unique opportunity, she said. 

Pimm playing at Lindenwood.  [Photo provided by Lindenwood Athletics]

“There were also a lot of Canadians on the team. And in the league we were in, it looked like we could potentially make an impact. And on top of that, it is a fairly new division I program, so I saw an opportunity to help build something.”

Over the course of her Lindenwood career, Pimm played in 87 games, recording three goals and two assists for five points, while also making memories to last a lifetime. 

After finishing her Bachelor’s degree at Lindenwood in three years, Pimm had two years of USports eligibility left. At the end of the 2018-19 season, Pimm made the decision to return to Canada for university and become a member of the Ravens. 

“I already had a relationship with coach Pierre Alain. So, when I reached out to him, I expressed what I was thinking of coming back to Canada to play, he was really supportive and encouraging,” she said.  “I feel like what the girls are doing at Carleton, is something that I want to be a part of.” 

While returning to Canada for university gives Pimm the opportunity to open a new door in her hockey career, the move also brings her back to the city she once called home as a teenager. 

“It’s extremely special. I feel extremely grateful to coach Alain for giving me the opportunity, because there’s not a lot of players that get the opportunity to go abroad and then also to come home. And as much as I loved St. Louis, as much as I love my teammates there, I don’t think I recognized how badly I did miss home,” Pimm said.

“I think, as female athletes, unfortunately we have to acknowledge the realization that we can’t play right now much farther past college. So to be able to gain a year and finish my career in my hometown—in front of friends and family—it’s really special to me.”