Coffee, cookies, cupcakes, and comfy chairs made for a cozy atmosphere at Black Squirrel Books as the Ottawa Arts Review (OAR) launched “Throwback,” Oct. 30.

OAR is a small press literary and visual arts journal published by undergraduate students at the University of Ottawa (U of O).

The night began with a poetry reading by Luminita Suse, a software developer and a contributor to this issue. Suse read several of her poems, many which were styled as spoken lyrics. She ended off her reading with “Alone In The Art Museum,” a poem featured in “Throwback.”

“I think I was in elementary school when I first started writing. I was really interested in words and how they sound,” Suse said. “I’m so taken with English poetry.”

Next, actress and writer Maryse Fernandes made the audience laugh with a reading of her observational monologues about everyday life. Her prose ranged from dealing with her demanding pet rabbit Jolene, meeting an adored YouTube celebrity, and even talking with a romantic homeless man.

Mia Morgan, editor-in-chief of “Throwback” and fourth-year U of O English literature student, showcased a few of her own poems, including an impassioned spoken word piece about books.

The night ended with original songs performed by Carleton singer-songwriter Dylan Phillips. Phillips began with a soulful tune called “Barnacle” and ending with a mildly angry song called “Mother.”

Since 2007, OAR has published the anthology twice a year with specially selected essays, prose, poetry, and artwork from local and visiting authors and artists in Ottawa, according to Morgan.

“Small press is a really important part of Ottawa’s literacy—a lot more than larger publishing houses and large publications,” Morgan said after the event.  “It’s really good to try to get to local authors, so small presses are a good way to do that. It’s a nice community and so fulfilling.”

Throwback is available to purchase for $8 at the U of O Undergraduate English Students’ Association.