Robertson Hall is the headquarters for the Department of University Safety at Carleton University [Photo from file]

This weekend, an 18-year-old from Durham, Ont. was charged for pointing a firearm at students on Carleton’s campus.

At approximately 2 a.m. on Nov. 27, the teen was seen pointing a firearm at students. The weapon was later seized and OPS determined that the weapon was a pellet gun.

On Nov. 28, the Ottawa Police Service (OPS) received a call from Carleton University Campus Safety Services stating that Campus Safety was reporting and investigating the incident.

According to an OPS news release, there have been a high number of cases involving similar authentic-looking fake firearms. The news release said carrying and displaying fake firearms, including air pistols, BB guns, firearm imitations and replicas is dangerous.

Officers from the Ottawa Police Service (OPS) seized a pellet gun, pictured above, following an incident at Carleton University on Nov. 27. [Photo provided by Ottawa Police Service]
“We take these incidents seriously as these are a threat to public safety and as such, criminal charges will be laid against people engaging in such conduct,” reads the OPS news release.

Upon his arrest, the teen was also found to possess a fake Ontario driver’s licence.

The accused was charged with pointing a firearm, possessing a weapon dangerous to public peace and unlawfully possessing a counterfeit document.

Carleton communications manager Tara Jackson said in an email statement to the Charlatan that safety is a top priority for the university.

“No student, staff or faculty member was physically harmed and we cannot comment further on the nature of the incident,” Jackson said. 

The 18-year-old was released on an undertaking.

Featured image from file.