DisOrientation week is open to all students and all events are free. (Photo by Willie Carroll)

From introducing students to the globalization of hip hop to hosting a media activism workshop, Ontario Public Research Interest Group (OPIRG)-Carleton is hosting DisOrientation week to expose students to diverse programming within the campus.

DisOrientation week is a rebirth of the former Radical or “Rad” Frosh, which hasn’t been held on campus for two years, according to OPIRG-Carleton board member Alice-Rose Mick.

“OPIRG has been at Carleton for 30 years, and ‘Rad’ Frosh has existed for as long as OPIRG has been established at this school,” Mick said. “We just wanted to make it different because it hasn’t been around for two years. The name has changed but the purpose is the same.”

DisOrientation week includes a variety of events that include the discussion of the history and global spread of hip-hop, an indigenous solidarity workshop, a wild edibles tour, and more. The events run from Sept. 24-30.

“We want to provide diverse programming because we have diverse working groups within OPIRG, and we realize that Carleton has such a diverse student population,” Mick said.

DisOrientation week is open to all students, and there is no cost to attending any of the events, according to Mick.

“Everyone is welcome to these workshops and that’s why we don’t ask anyone to pay to come to any of these events. Anyone who is interested in social justice and issues on campus will find that these events are for them,” Mick said.

The Student Experience Office (SEO) also supported DisOrientation week as well as the usual Fall Orientation, SEO program co-ordinator Jeremy Brzozowski said.

“The SEO works with . . . Fall Orientation to ensure that the programing is well-balanced and diverse,” Brzozowski said. “Our mandate is to offer social, academic and cultural programing, but DisOrientation week does a good job offering diversity in their programming as well, and that is a valuable service.”

Students are open to start any programing they wish within OPIRG, Mick said.

She said that OPIRG provides students with an environment that promotes consensus, which she defines as an environment without hierarchy so that “students can create new issues and contribute to our programing equally.”

“This is a week to introduce students to what we do. We want to create inclusive spaces that don’t discriminate,” Mick said. “We want to let students know that we support the idea of consensus and we support programming against oppression.”