Anti-COVID-19 mandate protestors are seen on Sir John A. Macdonald Parkway in Ottawa, Ont. on Sunday, Jan. 30, 2022. [Photo by Spencer Colby/The Charlatan]

Ontario lifted its mask mandate in most indoor settings on March 21. As the province has entered a sudden end to COVID-19 pandemic restrictions, we may ask ourselves, ‘Who do we have to thank?’

The mandate removal announcement came at the same time that Ottawa was under siege by the ‘Freedom Convoy’ that demanded restrictions be lifted. As a result, accusations that the provincial government was influenced by these protestors have been raised. 

Ontarians need to remember that the removal of mandates is due to the success of public health measures such as vaccines, not because of ‘freedom’ protestors. The government did not miraculously lift all vaccine restrictions because of protestors soaking in their hot tubs and playing in bouncy castles.

If Ontarians wish to thank anyone, they should thank the silent majority of Canadians who got their doses of the vaccine. Protestors are getting what they demanded—all mandates coming to an end—because of their friends, families and neighbours who stepped up against COVID-19.

The best indication of COVID-19 progression is daily death rate public health metrics. This rate is on a decline, with only 19 deaths reported in the past seven days.

Vaccination rates in Canada are close to Health Canada’s highest expectations with around 85 per cent of the population having a minimum of one dose and 81 per cent being fully vaccinated with two doses of a Health-Canada approved vaccine.

The timing of the protest, coupled with the announcement, is causing reason for suspicion. However, when assessing the trends of vaccination rates and daily deaths, it is clear that Ontario was projected to lift mandates with or without the convoy protestors.

Of course, the power of public sentiment cannot be overlooked. While the decision to lift public health measures would always be politically motivated on some level, truckers were certainly not the main driving factor in this decision. 

The decision to lift mandates and return to normality should depend on following scientific and measurable data. If this is the agreed goal, we must also understand that lifting restrictions must be made based on case numbers and scientific data, as well as public opinion.

If Canadian governments have found themselves in a position to safely lift restrictions, it is not thanks to those who threw a temper tantrum, refused to get vaccinated and disrupted the streets of Ottawa.

The 30 million Canadians who got vaccinated, got their children vaccinated and pushed through the unpleasantries of restrictions for two years are who to thank—not the ‘Freedom Convoy.’

Featured image by Spencer Colby.