In the heart of downtown Ottawa, a great collection of Canadian musical talent was in full force at a crowded Maverick’s Bar Oct. 11. Headlined by Toronto alt-rock darlings illScarlett, the bill also featured sonic artistry from Montreal, and even some local skill.

Carleton student Ryan Moore and his band, Leadfoot Pretty, kicked off the evening with a rocking pop-punk set full of catchy guitar riffs, fast solos, and incredible musicianship. The crowd was exceptionally big for an opening act, and made sure to give the band a warm reception.

“I think it’s a little nerve-wracking to get up there at first, as we’re just starting to get out there and promote our band,” said frontman Rob Pretty. “We’ve had a lot of positive feedback and have received a warm acceptance into the Ottawa music scene thus far, and we’re only looking forward to more of that in the future.”

Pretty went on to say the band was very excited to be opening for an acclaimed Canadian act such as illScarlett, despite being a young band within the Ottawa music scene.
“When we first heard that we were asked to open for them, we were a little shocked to say the least. We were really hoping everything would work out,” he said.
“I guess it was kind of a ‘right place at the right time’ scenario.”

Montreal natives the Escape Mode were also on hand, presenting a driving, energetic batch of tunes for the crowd. Their mix of hard rock and indie stylings had those in attendance dancing all through the set. Despite running into some technical issues with instruments and gear not working, they still managed to remain a powerful force on stage.

“We’re sorry that we’re experiencing some technical difficulties right now. We’re kind of like the NHL in that respect,” joked The Escape Mode vocalist Dan Laliberte. “I know a person who bought a new 70-inch screen to watch that on. Looks like that isn’t happening.”

The big draw of the night was renowned Canadian act illScarlett, who performed a set of material spanning their entire career. Including old favourites such as “Heaters,” “Mary Jane,” and “Rally,” the group also played a selection of songs from their recent 2012 EP and unreleased material from their upcoming full-length album, to be released early next year.

IllScarlett frontman Alex Norman was incredibly appreciative, thanking the audience every chance he got for attending the show.

“Thank you so much Ottawa, we’re very grateful for your hospitality. I’m not just a talker either, big kisses for everyone after this,” he exclaimed.

The band’s infectious grooves had the packed venue up and dancing in no time, which the fans enjoyed immensely.

“The show was fantastic,” audience member Malcolm Rabb said. “To be able to see illScarlett, a canadian group, in such a fun venue is really neat. The crowd was really into the show which always makes it a better experience and you could genuinely tell that the bands playing were appreciative at the turnout and support.”

Rabb, a long-time fan of the band, also saw them when they stopped in Ottawa on tour last fall. Despite the shows being a year apart, he was thrilled to see them on tour again.

“They are a Canadian band so naturally I am all for supporting them,” he said. “They have a really great sound that is not heard as much as it should be, and to hear that live is excellent.”

Despite illScarlett’s energetic performance, some long-time fans in attendance said they felt the band could have brought more to the stage that night.

“As a fellow Torontonian and long-time illScarlett fan since their early beginnings, it was a bittersweet time,” said audience member Drew Rutty.

“It’s nice to see a band I’ve liked for a long time, but at the same time it’s sad to see them fall from their once-bigger fame. They used to play much bigger shows and festivals. I’m also not crazy on their most recent material, and they were plugging it hard last night.”

Rutty also saw illScarlett last year, but said the magic just wasn’t there this time around.

“I came back to see them because they generally put on a good show, and I’m a fan from my youth. Though they might not be where they once were in the public eye, I still like to support the band,” he said.

“They’re a really cool and down-to-earth group of guys, hanging out with fans and shaking our hands after the show. It’s great.”