Ollie’s is undergoing a complete revamp this year from physical renovations and new programming to a lot more alcohol available to students. 

The pub, previously known as Oliver’s, accounts for just over $1 million of expenses in the 2019-20 Carleton University Students’ Association (CUSA) operating budget approved Aug. 28.

The renovations were a long time coming. Ollie’s hasn’t “had a good facelift in a long time,” said Jacob Howell, CUSA vice-president (finance). 

“During campaigning, we would often say Oliver’s looks like your grandma’s dingy basement,” he said. “Very dark, grimy vibe.” 

The renovations involved increasing lighting within the pub, a new logo, adding games like foosball and a punching bag, new seating, as well as fresh coats of paint.

CUSA made renovations to Ollie’s, the pub on the first floor of the University Centre (UC) formerly known as Oliver’s. [Photo by Tim Austen]
The appearance of Ollie’s had a lot of thought put into it, said Jamie Laxton, CUSA vice-president (student life).

“We also noted that a key figure point for bars were like Instagrammable moments,” Laxton said. “So I’d say like that first Thirsty Thursdays sign with the bleachers is probably one of the bigger ones.”

CUSA executives took an “aggressive approach to making Ollie’s more profitable,” said Howell. This showed in a $36,000 increase in expenses for the business. 

Ollie’s is projected to sell approximately $75,000 more in alcohol (bottled beer, draft beer, liquor, and liqueurs) than was sold last year. 

This comes despite Laxton, Howell, and other CUSA executives stating they would shift away from drinking-focused events on campus during election season last year.

Despite this promise and the knowledge that alcohol sales are on the decline in the province, Howell said he “wouldn’t necessarily” lower them. He wants to instead increase sales of non-alcoholic beverages and food to match alcohol sales, he said.

Increased sober programming is set to take place at Ollie’s this year such as drag nights, trivia tournaments, sex toy bingo, Tinder date nights and all-you-can-eat spaghetti nights, Laxton said. 

Laxton hopes to host a new event at Ollie’s featuring non-alcoholic drinks called “mocktail nights,” inclusive for under-age students and “those who didn’t feel welcome” at Ollie’s before. 

The cuts to the student life programming make smaller events, like mocktail nights, more reasonable, Lindgren said.

“Rather than having those big bang type of events, we [will] do a lot of more of these,” said general manager Travis Lindgren, given the cuts imposed by the Student Choice Initiative (SCI), adding events like these are cheaper.

If clubs and societies host their events at Ollie’s, Laxton said they’ll receive a kickback. 

“Mostly for Thirsty Thursdays we’re looking to partner with different clubs and societies keeping the SCI in mind,” Laxton said. “When clubs in some aspects are losing funding, they can gain it back by partnering on a Thirsty Thursday night.”

Customers can expect reduced hours at Ollie’s this year. The pub will close earlier on Monday and Friday nights.

Feature image by Bailey Moreton.