Photo by Julien Gignac.

Carleton University Students’ Association (CUSA) is rearranging Oliver’s pub promotions in the 2015-16 school year in an attempt to curb falling profits, according to CUSA vice-president (finance) Craig Handy.

Handy said the food and drink promotions attracted many students to the CUSA-operated bar in the past years, but decreased the sale of regularly-priced items. As a result, CUSA lost money by operating the bar.

As Oliver’s continues to lose money, it strains the entire CUSA budget, Handy said.

The new promotions model will consist of small adjustments to the bar’s operations, Handy said.

“The goal this year was to stop losing money but also not [to] make any, simply walk the line between affordable and profitable,” Handy said. “That way students still get great affordable food but can also know that their student bar is financially healthy and sustainable.”

The combination of different promotions were a contributing factor to the pub’s poor performance in profits. Handy said the pub’s “Wing Night” promotion, for example, contributed to the loss of profits.

Although Oliver’s sells the wings at only a few cents markup on their wholesale cost, Handy said the overall price does not account for the cost of labour and energy of appliances.

“In reality we lose money on wing night,” Handy said. “We aren’t going to stop that though because it is something students have come to love and expect from their campus bar.”

He added Oliver’s prices are extremely low paired with the rising cost of goods and operation, which contributes to the falling revenue.

“It’s important for the student bar to carefully navigate costs as we want it to be very affordable, but still need it to perform well,” he said.

For some students, however, the promotions are not a deciding factor on whether they will utilize the student pub.

“I go to Oliver’s pub for the atmosphere and the people,” said third-year commerce student Chloe Hajjar. “Me walking in has nothing to do with what promotions are written on the board that day.”

Hajjar added she rarely looks at the promotions board and will continue to attend the pub despite the new changes to the specials offered.

She also said she thinks an increase in food and drink prices would be inconvenient to students.

“If costs became higher it just won’t be as practical or appealing for me, or any other student, to be eating at Ollie’s as often and it would probably limit the amount of times I spend money there,” Hajjar said.

Handy said he has been working with CUSA-operated businesses to introduce new items, services, and adjustments that aim to boost traffic and student satisfaction in the 2015-16 school year.