*Ensure that you are using Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome, NOT SAFARI. Hit refresh if the video doesn’t show up.

Name:  Odai Hoorani
Program/year:
Fourth-year biomedical and mechanical engineering with a minor in computer science
Position running for:
president
Why are you running for CUSA council?

I’ve been involved all around campus for the last four years, and have lived on residence for the last three. Carleton University is literally my home and I’ve seen how divided our campus has become over the last year. It’s so important to me and my team that together we unite our campus and work together with all students.
What do you think makes you a good candidate?

I believe my diverse experience being heavily involved in the General Union of Palestinian Students, the Canoe and Kayak Club and the Muslim Students Association have all helped to shape me into a candidate worthy of your vote.  As an international student, I am aware of many of the issues students face on a daily basis, like the high cost of tuition fees, academic advocacy issues, and simply just meeting new people.
What are two things you hope to achieve if elected?

1. United for Carleton will host CUSA’s first ever Welcome Week! Next year, we’re going to host a welcome week, during the first week of classes, that’s full of awesome programming (like beer gardens and shisha tents), events (like concerts and a clubs day) and free stuff!
2. We intend to lobby for a student-run CUSA Building. This brand new student-run CUSA Building would include a new Multifaith Centre, and provide lots of space for students to study, and access any service they need.
What’s one fun fact about yourself?
I’ve completed leadership courses at MIT and Harvard University! I mean, they’re not as cool as Carleton, but it was a great experience!