Photo by Julien Gignac.

OC Transpo has announced new changes to bus routes affecting Carleton starting late December. The changes are part of the On Track 2018 master plan, which involves the construction of the Confederation Line and the introduction of several new station stops and routes.

The latest update indicates the closing of Lees Station’s lower level to accommodate track construction for the new lightrail system and many of the routes, which typically pass through there are either being capped, rerouted, or cancelled.

Route 129 to La Cité will be permanently shortened starting Dec. 20. As the route’s regular station stops between Hurdman and Carson, it will cease continuation down the Transitway towards Carleton in the afternoon peak hours after this date.

The more trafficked 4 Rideau Centre-Hurdman will also be capped, ending its route at Carleton before returning to the Rideau shopping mall. Both of these routes involve the removal of the station stops from Billings Bridge-to-Hurdman, in an effort to reduce traffic in that portion of the Transitway.

A representative for OC Transpo said the void of these routes will be filled by the new Route 104, which extends from Orleans Station to Carleton.

“Not only does it free up room on the Transitway, but the 104 will create a more direct passage for students living in the Orleans area to reach the university,” they said.

While progress is ahead of schedule, many Ottawa residents and students will now begin to be affected by the works.

Kelly Graves, a first-year psychology student who lives on residence, said she is anxious about the forthcoming changes.

“The buses are confusing as is. I just hope that it doesn’t take another three months to get used to,” she said.