A student who went to medschool for two years without being enrolled avoided detection by not handing in assignments or attending exams. (Photo illustration by Pedro Vasconcellos)

A student in New Zealand attended two years of medical school after being rejected from the University of Auckland’s medical program in 2010, according to New Zealand’s Otago Daily Times.

The student attended classes and labs and used a forged student doctor ID when on practical hospital placements, according to the Otago Daily Times.

He managed to avoid detection for two years while studying for bachelor of medicine and bachelor of surgery degrees.

The student avoided detection by not handing in assignments or attending exams.

“This individual is not a student and is not on any class list. This person has not been given any confidential or restricted training material, and has not, to our knowledge, ever been able to examine any patients or received confidential patient information,” professor John Fraser, dean of the medical and health sciences faculty told the Times.

The student was caught when a classmate put his name on a joint assignment, according to the Otago Daily Times.

He has not offered an explanation to the University of Auckland, according to the New Zealand Herald. “Medicine is a profession built on trust . . . we proudly teach ethics and professionalism to our students and the actions of this individual are at complete odds with these tenets,” associate professor Warwick Bagg told the New Zealand Herald.

“We apologize to our student group for any role we had in allowing this situation to develop and continue,” he said.