Photo by Nicholas Galipeau.

Carleton is implementing a policy limiting how much third party technology professors can require their students to use in each class, effective January 2016.

Third party learning resources, such as online simulations and software-based classroom response systems, can be used to evaluate up to 25 per cent of an overall course grade. Their cost to students can’t exceed $60 per half-credit course, or $120 for a full-credit course. Material resources, such as clickers and e-versions of textbooks, will not be covered under the new policy, according to the policy released from the vice presidents’ academic and research committee.

To address concerns surrounding affordability, instructors are “encouraged” by the policy to consider providing students with alternative methods of assessment to technology enhanced learning resources. The policy will be reviewed and revised in January 2017, once two full terms of data have been collected.

The policy was created to accommodate changes made by the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities (MTCU) to the Tuition Fee Framework and Ancillary Fee Guideline for publicly-assisted universities in December 2013, according to the policy.

Prior to these alterations, universities were forbidden from charging students for online learning resources and tools that could be used for assessment. Now that the MTCU guidelines allow for universities to charge students fees for the use of third party technology, Carleton has released a list of nine protocols that regulate how this technology can be used in classrooms.

“The purpose of this policy is to provide increased flexibility for faculty members and students in terms of the tools that can be used in teaching and learning at Carleton,” said Patrick Lyons, the director of teaching and learning at the office of the associate vice-president. “Some of these tools cost money, but they have some significant value to the teaching and learning experience.”

Lyons said it took approximately 18 months for Carleton to draft and review the policy, which was spearheaded by the Teaching and Learning Computing Committee (TLCC). The TLCC is comprised of faculty and students, who provided feedback on the policy and consulted with colleagues and peers for input.

Pat Morin, professor in the school of computer science at Carleton, said she doesn’t think the new policy will hinder professors in the classroom.

“If it doesn’t cost too much, and as long as not too much of the final grade depends on it, it should be easy for just about anybody to use as much as they want,” Morin said. “The MTCU requires that the university have a policy in place, and this is a reasonable one.”

Carleton University Students’ Association president Fahd Alhattab said the association was asked for input on the policy, and determined that it was a great thing for students.

“No one likes paying more,” Alhattab said.

Though she hasn’t yet been required to purchase any third party technology for a class, second-year cognitive science student Heather Piilo said she can see the value in having a university policy that governs its usage.

“If students are already paying for textbooks, it would be unfair to make them pay for other pricey class additives,” Piilo said. “It’s good that the university is putting a policy in place early on so that nobody gets carried away with charging students for it.”

Lyons agreed the affordability of the technology to students is important.

“It’s just a question of balancing between two factors,” Lyons said. “What might be fundamentally helpful for students, and what is affordable to them.”