The Carleton Ravens men’s hockey team has added more depth to their forward group by acquiring Chiwetin Blacksmith.

Blacksmith, a left-wing forward from Waswanipi, Que., first learned to skate on a backyard rink built by his father when Blacksmith was seven years old.

Hockey has always been a big part of the Blacksmith family’s culture, he explained in an email.

“I guess it was just in my blood.” he said. “My dad played hockey, and also, my four older brothers played hockey as well.”

Blacksmith has enjoyed playing in the Central Canada Hockey League (CCHL), Ontario Hockey League (OHL), and Quebec Major Junior Hockey League (QMJHL) in his junior career. He currently plays for the Ottawa Jr. Senators of the CCHL, and had 16 goals and 51 assists this year, for a total of 67 points in just 59 games.

When playing in the CCHL with the Ottawa Jr. Senators, and Gloucester Rangers, Blacksmith was dominant. The playmaker found himself averaging more points than games.

The OHL is one of the most prominent junior hockey leagues in Canada, with several OHL players drafted to the NHL every year.

He ended up playing 34 games with the Barrie Colts, collecting one goal and two assists in that span.

After his stint in the OHL, Blacksmith began to play in the QMJHL with the Gatineau Olympiques. Due to the change in scenery in the QMJHL, Blacksmith saw a higher level of success with five goals and 13 assists, for a total of 18 points in 48 games.

After a couple years between the OHL, and QMJHL, Blacksmith returned back to Ottawa for the 2017-18 season with the Ottawa Junior Senators.

Throughout Blacksmith’s entire junior hockey career, the new Raven has lived in Ottawa for the past five years, and said he is looking forward to staying.

“I loved the environment (at Carleton) when I went for a visit, and it also gives me a chance to continue my studies and play hockey at a university level,” Blacksmith said in a CCHL press release.

“Ottawa has become a home away from home. Also, the hockey program at Carleton is phenomenal,” Blacksmith told the Charlatan.

The Ravens men’s hockey team fell to the Ottawa Gee-Gees in the first round of the playoffs last season, and the Ravens, along with Blacksmith, are looking to turn things around.

“I am very excited, and humbled to be a Raven for the upcoming season,” Blacksmith said.