Carleton will launch a unique interdisciplinary graduate health care program this fall that will seek solutions to health concerns on a local and global scale, according to program director Susan Aitken.

Housed in Carleton’s new Institute of Health: Science, Technology and Policy, the Masters of Science degree in Health: Science, Technology, and Policy (HSTP) will draw from different faculties, including business, arts and social sciences, public affairs, engineering and design, and science.

“When we consulted with employers and asked what’s missing, they said there are scientists, researchers and people making policy, but they can’t communicate [with each other],” Aitken said.

Replacing a historical model with a program that bridges multiple disciplines will allow Carleton to “fulfill a mission in the marketplace and address big questions,” she said.

Group-based research and hands-on learning will be used to tackle issues as diverse as vaccinations for infections like H1N1, to the engineering of wheelchairs and its effect on the lives of Canadians living with disabilities, Aitken said.

The program includes two graduate diplomas aimed at both existing Carleton students and professionals working in the field. According to Aitken, the Institute of Health: Science, Technology and Policy has attracted learning and networking opportunities with external organizations like Health Canada, The Ottawa Hospital, and the Public Health Agency of Canada.

The new program will be launched in the fall alongside the new PhD of へあlthSocial Work and PhD in Applied Linguistics and Discourse Studies.