Photo by Kyle Fazackerley.

Michael Lutaaya, a second-year computer science student, has developed “Bins,” an app designed to keep track of Ottawa’s garbage and recycling schedule.

The app’s goal is to make taking out the garbage more convenient and environmentally friendly by allowing residents to see what will be picked up in their neighbourhood and when, according to Lutaaya.

The app is meant to encourage people to recycle, as it would make it easier for residents to avoid missing a garbage day.

“I started by figuring out what features would be most useful to someone who takes out the garbage and recycling,” Lutaaya said. “From there, I drew sketches of what the app would look like, developed working prototypes and kept refining my work until it was of good quality.”

Lutaaya said the response from the app has been incredible, with him receiving several positive emails and reviews.

“I find the app easy to use and has focused, well laid out functionality, which are all characteristics of a great app,” Carleton computer science professor Tony White said.

Many other Carleton students are taking the initiative and developing apps for smartphone users. Notewalk launched in December 2013. The app, co-created by Mehdi Jourabbaf, a fourth-year political science student at Carleton, enables users to leave notes on a virtual map.

App development is not an easy process, according to White. He said having a mastery of programming is essential for developing apps.

The computer science program at Carleton offers a stream that focuses on mobile development. In the second year, students are required to create one app for Android users and one app for iOS, White said.

White said many Carleton students choose to develop apps, which they upload to one of the smartphone app stores.

Lutaaya credits his computer science education as a major contributing factor to his ability to develop “Bins.”

“My professors have taught me the skills I need to create reliable software,” Lutaaya said. “Since I’m in the mobile computing stream, I’ve had the chance to learn about app development through my schoolwork.”