CUSA Club directory is seen in an screengrab
CUSA Club directory is seen in an screengrab [Photo Screengrab]

Last month, the Carleton University Students’ Association (CUSA) passed amendments to several bylaws addressing how the organization manages clubs and societies at Carleton.  

The amendments tackled five bylaws—V, IX, X, XI and XII—covering the certification of groups and financial governing. The amendments were voted on unanimously by the council. They were moved by vice-president (internal) Ahmad Hashimi and seconded by president Matthew Gagné, who recently resigned.

“We (CUSA) acknowledge that these measures are the first step in transforming how CUSA better serves our clubs and societies. This summer CUSA is developing a new strategic plan to address the realities of a post-COVID world,” Hashimi said in a press release. The strategic plan is still in the works and has not been released publicly.

The amendment to bylaw IX includes structured definitions of the different kinds of certified clubs and societies, which are categorized into competitive clubs, charter clubs, academic society clubs and autonomous clubs. The bylaw outlines each of the club’s goals on campus and how they are differentiated.

Categories of certified CUSA clubs and societies [Graphic by Parisha Haque]
Categories of certified CUSA clubs and societies. [Graphic by Parisha Haque]

The amendments also mandate proper procedures for club-related complaints, detailing who can launch complaints, how they are to be addressed and what constitutes grounds for a complaint.

It also addresses how clubs are certified, overseen and how CUSA conducts training. The new bylaws require at least two executives from each certified club or society to complete clubs training, a regulation that was not required before the amendments.

2.0 Clubs Training

2.1 Each Club must have at least two (2) executives complete the Clubs Training unless proper notice has been requested to and accepted by the Student Groups Administrator. 2.2 The Clubs Training shall:

a. Provide any relevant information to certified Clubs

b. Be planned and managed in accordance with the Clubs Training Procedure overseen by the CUSA Clubs Oversight Committee

c. Constrained in scope and platform by the CUSA Clubs Oversight Committee

Amendment to bylaw XI, section 2.1 of the CUSA Bylaws

The amendments to bylaw IX erase any mention of CUSA Hub, a website previously used to oversee active clubs. The current CUSA executive replaced CUSA Hub with a new website called CUSA Clubs, but its role is not written into the new bylaws. 

The final amended section to bylaw IX was the new responsibility of the clubs oversight committee to enforce proper leadership succession, through a written clubs leadership succession procedure. According to the document, it will act as a guide for clubs and societies to ensure “a seamless leadership transition.” 

“We now have a procedure for every scenario available,” Hashimi said. 

Bylaw IX also has new sections that address the financial governance issues of clubs and societies concerning membership fees, financial reviews and philanthropic work. 

Bylaws X, XI and XII, which address the CUSA clubs and societies fund, the summer funding committee and clubs and societies elections respectively, were repealed after the additions to bylaw IX.

Bylaw V was also amended, combining three committees—the clubs and societies committee, financial assistance committee for clubs and societies and clubs and societies summer funding committee—into one clubs oversight committee. 

The clubs oversight committee is tasked with the management, oversight and maintenance of CUSA’s certified clubs and societies. They are responsible for managing clubs funding, enforcing community standards, and advocating to CUSA council on behalf of clubs leaders and members. 

3.0 The CUSA Clubs Oversight Committee

3.1 The Committee shall consist of:

a. The CUSA Vice President Internal

b. The CUSA Vice President Finance

c. The CUSA Student Groups Administrator

d. One (1) CUSA Councilor

e. Three (3) elected Club delegates, elected on a one (1) vote per club basis from all clubs where at least two executives have completed Clubs Training

f. One (1) student-at-large, appointed by Council

g. The CUSA President, as an Ex-officio, non-voting member

Amendment to bylaw IX, section 3.0 of the CUSA Bylaws

The remaining committees, including the CUSA student initiative fund committee and the executive compensation review committee, will continue to operate as before.

Clubs-related procedures and resources are available on the CUSA clubs website.

Feature image from Screengrab.