Ottawa Centre Liberal incumbent Yasir Naqvi overcame New Democratic Party (NDP) challenger Anil Naidoo by more than 9,000 votes Oct. 6 to become part of the Ontario Liberal Party’s third successive government.

“It’s about the relationship I’ve built with the community and the work that I’ve been doing over the last four years,” MPP-elect Naqvi said. “I think people responded and they said that I have done a decent job.”

Speaking in a banquet hall only a few hundred metres from Naqvi’s celebration at The Preston Bar and Grill, Naidoo thanked supporters and staff for what had previously looked like a winning campaign.

“I’ve been saying all along that it takes a village to raise a candidate. And you are my village,” Naidoo said.

The Liberals finished only one seat away from having an historic third consecutive majority government with 53 of 107 seats.

Naqvi received 47 per cent of the vote Oct. 6, with all polls reporting.

The Progressive Conservatives are elected in 37 seats while the NDP can expect 17 seats at Queen’s Park.

“I was looking forward to tonight,” Naqvi said. “I will remain engaged with the community and make sure that I am always there.”

Observers and pundits had expected the race to be much closer, with some polls suggesting a dead heat between Naqvi and Naidoo.

Ottawa Centre MP and federal NDP leadership contender Paul Dewar accompanied Naidoo to the function.

“Friends, tonight the people have spoken. We know that we had a candidate who spoke to the issues,” Dewar said.

PC candidate Rob Dekker, trailing Naqvi by more than 14,000 votes, could not be reached for comment.

Voter turnout in Ontario reached a new all-time low, with only 49 per cent of eligible voters casting a ballot. This occurred in spite of polling changes developed by Elections Ontario to give voters more time and ways to vote.