The time has come to clear the fog, turn on the lights, and brush the glitter out of your eyelashes: Mugshots is calling it quits when it comes to late night partying.

The jail hostel and bar rose to local fame for its monthly array of legendary parties, but will no longer be hosting DJ nights starting Oct. 1, said food and beverage manager Stephanie Smith. She explained that while there is a myriad of reasons as to why the parties must stop, the most crucial one is hostel complaints.

“It’s really disruptive to the guests . . . sometimes hostel guests complain and we’ll give out free earplugs and we encourage everyone to join the party,” she said. “But we also host families here and groups of children and it’s not cool to have them coming down at two in the morning asking when the noise is going to stop.”

The jail was designed to be loud. Guards wanted to be able to hear everything the inmates were whispering, so sound travels extremely well inside, Smith said. This architecture means heavy bass can be heard throughout the building during dance parties such as Ceremony, which featured house and techno music.

Smith went on to explain while the parties have been a huge success, it just doesn’t make sense when “the bar is making revenue but you’re giving refunds for noise.”

Things outside are looking grim as well for late night dancers. The Arts Court development, announced Sept. 3, will ensure Mugshots gets new neighbours in the form of hotels and condominiums.

This addition to the neighborhood does not bode well for fans of the courtyard, arguably one of Mugshots’ best features and the backdrop for events such as Partyy., which utilizes the space to combine arts, crafts, and live music.

Smith said additional issues such as vandalism, theft, and construction plans were also taken into consideration when making the decision to end dance-heavy events.

Smith booked events as such as live bands, open mics, DJ nights, and musical festivals over the years.
Gary Franks, one third of the DJ crew who supply Ceremony with their beats every month, said Smith was crucial to the events’ longevity. Smith not only invited Ceremony back into the venue after a brief departure but also worked with them to “make a party that met everyone’s needs.”

“Mugshots was always very friendly and open with us, and we take pride in being one of the parties that helped really break Mugshots as a viable venue in Ottawa.” Franks said, adding “Without [Smith], there might not have been a Ceremony after the first year or so. She got what we were trying to do and understood the balance we were trying to strike: a party that lets people get crazy and be free, but always foster a safe environment where absolutely everyone feels welcome. Steph really help us make that happen.”

Franks said he welcomes the change with open arms.

“A loss of a venue—or venues en masse—will simply mean the people who want it will just have to try harder and the product will be stronger for it,” Franks said.

“Ottawa’s greatest asset is a continued influx of young minds that flood into the city every September. . . and I think they stay because this city feels continually malleable and open to new ideas and possibilities.”

As of right now, Smith said she is already onto the next thing—new programming for Mugshots that further engages hostel guests. At the end of the day, she said the hostel is the main part of the business and is seeking programming that encourages guests to participate. She said while DJ nights are done, live bands and good times are still very much a priority for both the hostel and bar.

“We’re the biggest hostel in Ottawa and continue to grow. And we owe part of that success to Mugshots and the popularity of the bar. Of course because of the popularity we’re not going to close it. I’ve been hearing rumors, but no, we’re not closing it. We’re just going to change our programming and it’s still going to be a fun place to come to,” she said.

Smith said local and touring bands are encouraged to contact her for bookings and events. Comedy and movie nights are being considered for future programming.

Smith said staple events such as Jazz Night, open mics, Taco Tuesday, and the monthly CKCU party Fryquency are still going to continue as scheduled.