Mosaic initiative highlights diversity among students

451
A woman draws a henna tattoo on another woman's hand.
A Carleton University student receives a henna at CUSA’s Mosaic global fair in Ottawa, Ont. on Monday, November 14, 2022. [Photo by Sama Oumari/The Charlatan]

The Carleton University Students’ Association (CUSA) hosted a global fair and BIPOC job fair on Nov. 14 and 15 to highlight diversity among students. 

These events are part of CUSA’s Mosaic campaign—an initiative that promotes inclusivity and advocates for international students and students of all backgrounds, according to CUSA vice-president (student issues) Faris Riazudden.

“So many [students] just want to spill and share everything that they want to do, and we want to provide that platform for students,” Riazudden said. “That’s what Mosaic is all about.”

The global fair held in the University Centre Atrium gave registered clubs, including the Asian Canadians’ Association, Palestinian Students’ Association and the Carleton Ukranian Students’ Club, a chance to share their cultures with the student body. 

The event featured a Japanese tea ceremony, henna tattoos and a variety of games. 

Christopher Wu, a second-year law student and a member of the Carleton Asian Canadians’ Association, said he is glad to see CUSA taking this initiative.

“In terms of inclusivity, realizing that we’re all one nation, having a bunch of people of different ethnicities and different walks of life is really great,” Wu said.

University officials attended, including Carleton’s vice-president (students and enrolment) Suzanne Blanchard and president Benoit-Antoine Bacon. City councillors Shawn Menard, Wilson Lo and Allan Hubley also attended. This gave students the opportunity to speak with these officials and advocate for needs such as compassionate tuition, housing and transit, Riazudden said. 

CUSA president and councillor speak to city councillors in University Centre.
CUSA president Anastasia Stoikos-Lettieri and CUSA councillor Jordan Vecchio speak to Ottawa city councillors Shawn Menard and Wilson Lo at the mosaic global fair in Ottawa, Ont. on Monday, November 14, 2022. [Photo by Sama Oumari/The Charlatan]
Mosaic continued the next day with a BIPOC job fair that spotlit local organizations and services catering to advocacy work.

Two local organizations, the Southbank Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram, and Cheese It Pizza participated in the fair. They displayed their services, merchandise and business cards on folding tables throughout the space. 

Hallee Kejick, CUSA’s vice-president (community engagement), organized the fair to celebrate diversity among students and empower them.

As a Black, Indigenous woman, Kejick said a person’s identity can align with their work and bring important perspectives into the workplace. 

“It’s really great that we can provide these opportunities for our students and allow them to actually see more of what’s in the community,” Kejick said. “It’s also nice having [a job] that aligns with your identity.” 

She said she wants students to utilize these opportunities to the fullest by pointing them to local organizations that cater to their identity. 

The job fair also highlighted CUSA’s service centres that focus on intersectionality and identity, such as RISE (Racialized and International Student Experience) and the GSRC (Gender & Sexuality Resource Centre).

“[We held] a BIPOC job fair to show these students that there’s so many more opportunities than what they see,” she said. 

She said she will continue to help find and make students aware of more resources by casting a wider net in the community to further advocate for Carleton students.

“It’s really important that we look farther than just what’s here on our campus,” Kejick said. “And we really work to make connections out into our community.”

Kejick said her main focus is to make students feel included.

“It’s nice to be in identity-focused areas that you identify with,” she said. “It makes you build a stronger connection to the community and helps you find a place of belonging.”

Featured image by Sama Oumari.