While this year’s 82-64 Capital Hoops marks the last time forward Mitch Jackson will set foot in the Canadian Tire Centre as a Raven, guard Aiden Warnholtz is just getting started.

Jackson–never a leading scorer but an off-the-court leader and seasoned veteran for the team–has made some observations of the rivalry game over the last five years. 

“Just seeing how the game unravels, seeing how guys respond to the gravity of the game. Some guys shy away from it—some guys pride themselves on it,” Jackson said.

Jackson still remembers the change in atmosphere during his first year at Carleton. 

“Before coming to Carleton, I’d played in bigger arenas like that for the provincial team, in Sherbrooke [at the 2013 Canada Summer Games]. I’d played in bigger arenas but [the Canadian Tire Centre] is definitely the biggest,” Jackson said.

“I mean—I didn’t even really play my first year. But, it was crazy just having so many people in the same building,” he added.

During his first season, Jackson was on a team which featured Ravens basketball legends Phil and Tommy Scrubb. Both brothers went on to help Team Canada earn a berth in the 2019 FIBA World Cup last December.

“It was just so simple when those guys were on the floor. We’re trying to get back to it now, but it’s always just a bit more raw,” Jackson said. “When those guys were playing, it just seemed so simple.”

The 2015 Capital Hoops game was also a higher stakes match-up as it served for a preview for the national championships, where Carleton defeated the University of Ottawa (U of O) in the CIS title game.

U of O has since fallen behind Carleton over the years. In 2015, however, it was a fierce rivalry as a record 10,780 fans were in attendance to watch.

“I remember it was wild. I think that was the one where they set the record for attendance,” Jackson said. “It was a good game. It was just special being able to be a part of it–even without playing in my first year.”

Aiden Warnholtz, who would have been 13 years old at the time, grew up watching Capital Hoops—and eventually became Jackson’s teammate in the future.

“It’s pretty fun playing in this environment, especially growing up watching this game a bunch of times,” Warnholtz said.

Warnholtz has been the only true freshman to see minutes this season. In Capital Hoops, the former Canadian Youth Basketball League (CYBL) MVP played for a total of two minutes.

“It’s always nice to get in . . . help the team out even if its only for a bit.” he added.

Warnholtz’s positive attitude and energy from the bench during games has been a welcome addition to the team.

“It’s been great—I love that guy,” Jackson said. “He’s a great guy, extremely good student and just wants to learn. It’s been great—it’s fun to be on his team.”

Jackson sees parallels to Warnholtz and former teammate Phil Scrubb.

“He kind of has a similar play style where he keeps it simple—outstanding shooter.” Jackson said.

After the changing of the guard at Canadian Tire Centre, the men’s basketball team has new faces but continues to pursue the same goal as Jackson during his first year.

“We’re just going to keep on working on what coach Smart has been giving us to work [with] and attack issues head on.”

Photos by Spencer Colby