Pacific FC's Zakaria Bahous scores the game winner against Atlético Ottawa goalkeeper Yuba-Rayane Yesli on July 7 at TD Place in Ottawa, On. [photo by Matt Zambonin / Freestyle Photography.]

Atlético Ottawa had plenty of chances to score against Pacific FC on Saturday, but none of them were able to find the back of the net. 

Pacific FC defeated Ottawa 1-0 on a hot July 6 afternoon at TD Place in front of a lively crowd of 5,794 fans. Ottawa still sits at the top of the Canadian Premier League (CPL) standings after an impressive 7-4-2 record to start the season.

Pacific scored the only goal of the match during stoppage time of the first half. It was scored unexpectedly on a long-distance shot from the edge of the box by midfielder Zakaria Bahous, who formerly played 38 matches for Ottawa before signing with the British Columbia club in 2023. 

Despite the loss, Ottawa looked like the better team for most of the match by outshooting Pacific 22-6 and controlling 58 per cent of the overall possession. 

In the 58th minute, a shot from Atlético midfielder Manuel Aparicio appeared to cross the goal line before being promptly kicked out by Pacific midfielder Cédric Toussaint

The officials ruled no goal on the play, and since the CPL does not use goal line technology, the call went unchallenged. 

“It could be a goal, it could not be a goal,” said Atlético head coach Carlos González Juárez. “At the end of the day the referee was near and we have to accept what he called.”

After failing to capitalize on their chances throughout the game, Ottawa was given their best and final opportunity in stoppage time. They were awarded a penalty shot due to a handball in the box from Pacific right-back Georges Mukumbilwa

Ottawa deployed their star midfielder Ollie Bassett to take the shot, but his shot flew over the crossbar.

Atlético winger Kris Twardek said he was still pleased with the fight his team showed to the very end despite the loss. 

“Not everything is result-based,” Twardek said after the game. 

Including Canadian Championship matches, Ottawa has only lost three matches this season, with two of those losses coming against Pacific FC. Pacific has inched up the standings and is now tied with Vancouver FC for third after their latest win. 

On the other side, Ottawa’s league dominance is faltering as their lead over second-place York United has narrowed to five points. 

However, Ottawa head coach Juárez said he was not feeling any pressure following the loss.

We were seven points away and now we’re five. I don’t think it’s a very big difference,” Juárez said. “I don’t think any team in this league is going to win every single game.” 

The Atlético will now travel west to play Vancouver FC on July 12 before coming home to host Valour FC on July 21.

Featured image by Matt Zambonin / Freestyle Photography.