Home Blog Lifestyle Blog Men’s Style Blog: Survive winter in style this year

Men’s Style Blog: Survive winter in style this year

26

Snow, sleet, and slippery sidewalks should not prevent you from looking good.

Winter fashion is great because the weather offers possibilities. In some ways, it’s the simplest time of year to get dressed. You can layer different items, and colder temperatures make most of your decisions for you.

Here are a few tips for the upcoming season:

Perfect the pea coat

When it comes to pea coats, what would James Bond do?

These coats are the best way to look good in the cold. If chosen wisely, it’s a piece of your wardrobe that will last for years. Double-breasted cuts are classic, but single-breasted pea coats are also in style.

peacoat on Make A Gif

The coat should fit tight around your chest and the shoulder seams should hit right at the end of your collarbone. If it’s double-breasted, try it on with all the buttons done up. The bottom of the jacket should hit you just below your belt. Any lower and it shortens the appearance of your legs.

Navy blue and grey are better choices because those hues don’t show the dirt as much as a black coat. Pea coats with subtle plaids and patterns are a great choice if you’re looking to add to your collection, but it’s riskier to purchase a patterned coat if it will be your first.

Wear the right toque

Bob and Doug are Canadian icons, not fashion icons.

Wear a toque that covers your ears and doesn’t have too much excess fabric near the top. You want a hat that fits tight to your head to trap warmth and create an attractive profile. Leave the egg-headedness to your professors.

hats on Make A Gif

Most men use toques as a chance to show team pride, which is fine provided the logo is not too garish and the colours match your outfit. It might be best to purchase one neutral colour toque in grey or navy, and another from your favourite sports team.

If you’re a Leafs fan, it’s probably best to just buy two solid-colour, neutral toques.

Invest in a pair of leather gloves

Just like Groundhog Day, you can wear leather gloves over and over and over again.

We’ve all rocked those dollar store knit gloves at one time in our lives, but grown-up men should own a pair of leather gloves. They’ll look great with a pea coat and communicate to the world that you’re a serious adult, even if the opposite is true.

leather2 on Make A Gif

Pick a leather colour that matches your outfit, preferably black or brown. It’s best to find a pair with faux fur or fleece lining, because leather is not an isolating material.

The bonus of leather is you can have a snowball fight on the way to school and you won’t have wet hands the rest of the day. Knit mittens don’t offer this kind of luxury.

Scarf down the details

Don Draper’s scarf is not the most exciting, but it gets the job done.

Scarves are a must have this winter. They’re one of the few pieces that can be functional and fashionable.

leather on Make A Gif

Choose a colour or pattern that means something to you. Buy one just because you like the way it looks and makes you feel. Like a good necktie, it’s an accessory that you can truly own.

The best pattern this year is houndstooth, which looks good with just about everything. Plaid is another choice.

Above all, take the opportunity to inject a bit of colour into your winter outfit. It’s a drab time of year, but you don’t have to be.