Screenshot by Jessie Park.

As another year winds down at Carleton, it’s time for brighter shades and an easier way of living to take over.

Spring is menswear’s coming out period. While most of what was on runways not too long ago is out of reach for students, the styles are easy to rock on a budget.

With a refreshed wardrobe and cool confidence, any man can enter the coming season with effortless ease.

Embrace patterns

gif1_o_4994887

Ginsberg’s outfit may be a little hard on the eyes, but he nails the subtle printed shirt.

Patterned shirts and shorts are big right now. This is a trend worth following, but keep an eye on what you add to your closet. You don’t want to be stuck with an article of clothing that looks dated a year from now.

Instead, keep the loud prints to a minimum and buy microprints. These are the patterns that don’t look so busy but still add visual variety to your outfit.

Microprint patterns look best with bold stripes, colour-blocked pastels, and solid neutrals. Try a subtle printed dress shirt under a sweater or with a solid knit tie to see how a microprint can pump up your outfit. When you wear a patterned shirt or pair of shorts, keep the rest of your outfit simple and pattern-less.

Buy a proper pair of sunglasses

gif2_o

Who wouldn’t want to look like the 35th president?

Aside from keeping your eyes healthy, a cool pair of shades are a must-have for the lead up to summer. There is no other way to summon that warm spring spirit and look cool at the same time.

Throw away those cheap frosh-worthy plastic sunglasses and invest in a nice pair of tortoise shell wayfarers. The wayfarer frame looks good on every face, and unlike aviator or rounded shapes, it chisels your jawline and makes your face look thinner. Tortoise shell frames come in brown, yellow, and a mix of earth tones. Unlike black, tortoise shells make you look less like a Secret Service agent and more like a Kennedy.

It’s best to pick a lens colour that matches your style and doesn’t bother you. Brown or tinted black is always a safe choice, but green and yellow lenses are coming back in style. Just do you.

Tread carefully

You can put your winter boots away for good, but be careful not to break out your boat shoes too early. Ottawa’s weather is temperamental, as many of us already know. A surprise rain or snowstorm will freeze your Sperry-clad feet.

Instead, a pair of retro kicks or polished wingtips will keep you on your feet this season. Your sneakers should be bright and define who you are, and the more they throwback, the better they’ll look with cuffed jeans or chinos. Modern running shoes look terrible outside of the gym, so steer clear. Wingtips are great for every occasion and can even be worn with a suit.

“Marco!” “Polo!”

gif3_o

Back in the day, Arnie was one of golf’s most fashionable men. Wearing a sharp polo must have been part of his success on the links.

Polo shirts are finally having a moment this season. You can’t wear whatever polo you have in your drawer, though. Take the time to update and inventory your collection of this timeless menswear piece.

The refreshed polos many of the big names are producing have tighter chest lines, shorter sleeves, and bright colours. The bolder the better, but especially look for shirts that fit under a blazer or suit. Bruno Mars’ “Uptown Funk” video has done a lot to bring back the Miami Vice blazer-polo combo, so take inspiration from that.

But watch your sleeves. You want your polo’s sleeve to end just below your shoulder, in the top half of your bicep. This will help the sides of the shirt cling to your torso and create a sporty vibe. Remember, you want a fit that’s more tennis pro and less dad-on-vacation.

Sweaters

gif4_o

When looking for style tips, look no further than Michael Corleone. Even though he’s wearing his tie, the sweater adds a casual touch.

Chunky wool cardigans are best left to the winter months. Bumerino pullovers and thinner cardigans are great for transitioning to spring. You can wear these with a button up underneath or go for a casual look with a polo or T-shirt. Turtlenecks are also best left until chillier times return.

Remember, when wearing a collared shirt under your sweater—keep the collar under the neck of the sweater. Fix flyaways with a button-down collar or iron your shirt and use collar stays.