Screenshot.

Listen, it’s time to stop moping around campus in a hoodie. A fitted, dashing blazer around your shoulders will boost your confidence and add a layer of sophistication to any outfit.

Roger Sterling’s blazer has a pattern and colour to set it apart from the standard suit jacket.

Blazers are the fastest way to dressing up without looking too dressy. Throw one on over a white shirt and you look ready for a party or workday. There is no other item in your closet that brings this amount of instant class. That’s probably why men have been wearing blazers at a steady clip since the 1820s.

Before we go any further, let’s make it clear a blazer is not just a suit jacket without the matching pants. To wear a suit jacket as a blazer is to wear shoes with the laces removed; you can do it, but sooner or later someone will point out how ridiculous you look.

The best blazers have a pattern, texture, or bold colour to set them apart from the suits in your closet. If you’re looking at buying your first blazer, go for a nice neutral like gray or navy blue, but choose corduroy or a subtle plaid to make it stand out from the rest of your wardrobe. Patterned jackets look great with a striped tie and plain shirt.

gif2 on Make A Gif

Notice the subtle pattern on that jacket? Perfect for date night.

Now, a word about fit. Your blazer fits when the sleeves hit your wristbone and show just a little bit of shirtsleeve. You should be able to fasten the first button without any pulls in the fabric. Your shoulders should fit snug against the seams connecting the sleeves to the main body part.

If you follow those fit rules, you can have fun with the patterns and textures. Plaid, as mentioned above, is an obvious choice. Right now, microprints are really in; so don’t be afraid to choose a houndstooth or paisley.

So, break one in and wear it out.

Once you’ve mastered the basics, don’t be afraid to step up your blazer game like Rodney Dangerfield here.

gif3 on Make A Gif