The Carleton Ravens men’s soccer team tied the Queen’s Golden Gaels in their season home opener on Aug. 30.

Queen’s entered the game with strong footing and appeared to be controlling the pace of the game up until the end of the first half.

The offensive advantage from the Gaels did not bear much weight on the Ravens’ minds as they fought through the first half.

“When you’re in the game you tend to only think about what’s going on there and that’s all that matters,” said Ravens defender Michael Calof. “Stats are irrelevant—it only matters what’s on the scoreboard and that your team effort doesn’t drop off.”

Despite Queen’s offensive dominance in the first half, the Ravens were able to gain a one goal advantage. This was due to the dual efforts from lead Walker Smith’s kick and forward Mekonen Lovemore-White’s header into the net.

Calof said he attributes that initial goal to the efforts of both Smith and Lovemore-White, along with the efforts made throughout preseason training.

“It was a great play by Mekonen Lovemore-White [and] Walker Smith. That’s just weeks of practice that culminate into one great play,” Calof said.

Following their initial goal, the Ravens entered the second half of the game in full swing, but unfortunately missed two easy goal opportunities, which could have guaranteed a win for their home opener.

The spirit brought back onto the field in the second half was greatly thanks to a strong veteran presence from players such as Julian Piccioli and Felix Daigle.

“They just have the experience that they bring to the table and the ability to get the guys up to play,” Calof said.

It seemed as though their one goal advantage would be enough to clinch a victory, however it was a turnover late in the second half that cost the Ravens a season opener win. Queen’s forward Jacob Shroeter took advantage of this turnover, tying the game at the 83rd minute.

“Great team and great effort on their part, so they earned every bit of it. But just not the smartest play by our team,” Calof said.

Ravens midfielder Daud Dahir also attributed the tying goal to the team’s preseason training, which left the team worn out leading up to the game.

“From pre-season we haven’t had a day off,” Dahir said. “We didn’t get the result we wanted.”

The goal scoring kick from the corner showed great promise for the Ravens, having gone all last season without executing a goal from that position on the field. The goal hopes to be foreshadowing for a strong technical season for the Raven’s, despite their tie.

Despite having finished the game without a victory under their belt, the Ravens acknowledge their stronger presence on the field in contrast to past years.

“Our coaches work day in, day out to help us get ready and everything they’ve put us through—all the fitness and all the training, it definitely came to the plate. We’ve got a long way to go but we’re definitely starting in a better [place] than last year,” Calof said.

The Ravens face off next against the Nipissing Lakers on Friday, Sept. 4. at MNP Park.