The Ravens went into extra time against the Gaels in the OUA quarter-final. (Photo by Brendan Danielson)

The Carleton Ravens men’s soccer team advanced to the Ontario University Athletics (OUA) Final Four Oct. 27 by defeating the Queen’s University Gaels 2-1 in extra time.

At the OUA Final Four in Toronto, the Ravens suffered a heartbreaking loss to the York University Lions Nov. 2, and ended their season with a second straight loss Nov. 3 against the University of Windsor Lancers.

The Ravens were forced into extra time against the Gaels in their OUA quarter-final, after they gave up the tying goal late in injury time when a cross ball got past first-year goalkeeper Travis Chace, leaving the net wide open for the Gaels.

In injury time of the first half of the extra time period, captain and fifth-year midfielder Joey Kewin gathered the ball off a free kick by second-year midfielder Julian Piccioli and buried a shot passed the Gaels keeper to take the lead once again.

“Going into extra time, I knew it wasn’t going to be my last 30 minutes. We played great and I just got lucky to get on the end of the ball and put it in,” Kewin said. “This game was the most important game we’ve played all season. It’s do or die. In terms of our play, I thought we played great.”

For the next 15 minutes of the second half of extra time, the Ravens shut down the Gaels. The equalizing goal for the Gaels spoiled a shutout for the first-year keeper Chace, who made big saves for his team throughout the game.

“I was just doing my job. Anytime a defender makes a mistake or makes a through ball, I got to make the save. That’s what the keeper’s there for,” Chace said. “I’d be lying if [I said] I wasn’t nervous out there, but it’s what we train all year for, games like this. This is why we play the game, to play in these big games, go to extra time, then get the win.”

Chace got nothing but praise from his coach.

“He’s a first-year player, he’s 17, and the boy came in from Calgary. We knew we needed a goalkeeper and he’s done really well,” head coach Sandy Mackie said. “The boy comes in and works hard, never misses a training session and listens. And he made a number of real good saves late in the game.”

Then came the heartbreak in the OUA Final Four against the heavily favoured York University Lions, as the Ravens were defeated 2-1. With just minutes remaining in the game, Piccioli had a chance to tie the game up and send it to extra time, but sent the shot just wide of the net, ending the Ravens’ chances to even the game.

The loss knocked the Ravens out of the chance to compete in the Canadian Interuniversity Sport men’s soccer championship.

Kewin said he thought the teams were evenly matched through most of the game.

“We played well in both games this weekend. The semi-finals against York I thought we played very well, solid defensively and dangerous going forward,” Kewin said. “I truly believe we deserved to win that game. The scoreline does not reflect our performance on the day.”

The following day, the Ravens’ season came to an end with a 4-1 loss against the Lancers in the bronze medal game. The Ravens got off to an early lead, but that was all they could muster as the Lancers responded with the next four goals.

Kewin said the season was still a success even though the team didn’t get the outcome they were looking for.

“It was a great year with many ups and downs, and I hope the boys take the lessons learned and apply them in the next few years,” Kewin said.