(Photo by Christian Alphonse)

The Carleton Ravens men’s soccer team finally got the big win they have been looking for on a chilly evening Oct. 9 as they took on the Queen’s University Gaels in a mid-week match.

The Ravens finally showed why just a few short weeks ago they were ranked number one in the Canadian Interuniversity Sport as they came out on top 4-1.

“This is the first game we actually played to our potential . . . from the defence, to the midfield, to the forwards, while our keeper played great, and that will be key for us moving forward,” Ravens captain Joey Kewin said.

The Ravens’ chances came early and often with the game’s first goal coming from fifth-year midfielder Kewin.

The home team did not slow down there, as the Ravens continued to keep the pressure on the visiting Gaels while staying strong defensively.

The high pressure by the Ravens paid off as Kewin picked up his second marker of the night after his shot took a deflection off a Queen’s defender in the 30th minute.

After the half, the Gaels came out with a renewed energy and started to build some pressure, but third-year striker Andrew Latty was able to find the back of the net in the 22nd minute, deflating the Gaels right as they were starting to get going.

“Key is, different from other games, we were actually capitalizing on key moments in the game when we were receiving a lot of pressure . . . which drains the other team,” Ravens goalkeeping coach Karl Wasslen said.

The visitors were able to pick up a goal when Gaels defender Joseph Zupo converted a rare Gaels corner, spoiling the shutout for Ravens rookie goalkeeper Travis Chace.

However, any hopes of a Gaels comeback were once again spoiled when first-year forward Alexandre De Couvreur gave himself a birthday present, picking up his first goal as a Raven in the 89th minute of the game.

“He’s finally had that breakout performance he’s been waiting for. He’s had so many chances and I’m so glad he could put one in, and on his birthday too,” Kewin said.

With the win, the Ravens improve their record to 8-2-2 as they take possession of second place in the Ontario University Athletics East division.

The team will return to the pitch Oct. 19-20 to play host to the Ryerson University Rams and the University of Toronto Varsity Blues in their final two regular season games.