Photo by Trevor Swann.

The Carleton Ravens men’s hockey team defeated the Guelph Gryphons 4-1 on March 12 at the Carleton Ice House in the Ontario University Athletics (OUA) bronze medal game. With this win the Ravens managed to advance to the Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS) University Cup tournament hosted in Halifax, N.S. .
Although the rest of the playoffs consisted of a best of three series, this was the only game used to determine who will be making the trip to Halifax with a shot to play for the national title. Being ranked sixth in the Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS) means the Ravens got home ice advantage over the number nine ranked Gryphons. The two teams played in front of a packed crowd of 730.
Ravens goalie Patrick Killeen received the start for the night, despite strong performances by Francis Dupuis throughout playoffs.
“It is kind of gut-wrenching to pick [who starts] because they are both so good. We have full confidence in both of them,” said Ravens head coach Marty Johnston.
The Ravens came out strong, with both offence and defence contributing. The Ravens were the first to score at 6:57 into the first period. Brent Norris fed Clark Veenstra, who put it top shelf. A few minutes later Derek Brown fired a shot in from the blue line and Brett Gustavsen put it past D’Agostini to double the Ravens’ score.
Nearing the end of the first period, Guelph took a penalty, sending Carleton to the power play. Mitch Zion took advantage of this opportunity, scoring and bringing the Ravens’ lead to 3-0.
Carleton started the second period on a penalty kill, which allowed Guelph to finally put one past Killeen. Regardless of a handful of penalties, the score remained 3-1 for the remainder of the second period.
Guelph entered the third period with a lot more intensity and aggression, which resulted in them getting another penalty. Again, using the man advantage, Ravens winger Brett Welychka found linemate Ryan Van Stralen in front of the net to give the Ravens a 4-1 lead, and seal the win.
The final minute of play got heated between Gryphons forward Kyle Neuber and Killeen. The exchange resulted in Neuber punching Killeen and bringing both teams into the tustle. Neuber and Killeen earned themselves two-minute minor penalties.
The Ravens took home the OUA bronze medal, and will continue on to Nationals for the second time in three years.
Johnston has been coaching for both trips to Nationals and said he is extremely happy with the way the program has been going.
“I think it is great, you know, for those guys that have been here for both trips they should be real proud of themselves,” he said. “They have established themselves as a strong group, and it’s something that if we’re going back, we have done things right for a number of years, and it’s really credit to the guys in the room.”
Assistant captain Mike McNamee was on the team two years ago for the first trip to Nationals in program history.
“I don’t really have words to explain it,” he said. “You get there and it is kind of a whirlwind when you do, but hopefully we perform well and we can make a name for our school.”
The Ravens will be heading to Halifax on March 17 to represent Carleton and look to bring home the University Cup.