With a record of 11-5-1 and five victories in six games, Carleton is edging closer to the top of the OUA East division standings. (Photo by Kyle Fazackerley)

The Carleton Ravens men’s hockey team is showing no signs of a mid-season slump, winning two straight games after the winter break, Jan. 3-4.

The Ravens defeated the Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS) sixth-ranked McGill Redmen 3-2, who were fifth-ranked when the teams played, and then defeated the University of Ottawa Gee-Gees 5-2 the following day.

“These were two huge games for us. Both teams were ahead of us at the start of the weekend. These were a big four points,” Ravens forward Joey West said.

Ravens head coach Marty Johnston said the team was not rusty after a nearly month-long layoff.

“The guys came back and had great work habits. We practiced throughout the break and made sure that we were ready to skate from the get go,” he said. “We were really happy with the overall effort of the group. All four lines were ready to play.”

With a record of 11-5-1 and five victories in six games, Carleton is edging closer to the top of the Ontario University Athletics East division standings, currently sitting in fourth place.

“The guys are having fun and the coaches are in a good mood. Winning is fun,” Ravens defenceman Matthew Stanisz said.

Johnston said the second half of the season is just beginning and there is still plenty of time for his team to make a run.

While he said the team had moved on from its early season struggles, he said the team is focusing on the present rather than the future.

“It’s back to the way things were at the start of the year. Things are looking up now,” West said. “We beat two really good teams to start off the year.”

In the first game, McGill took the lead early, but the Ravens responded with goals by Ryan MacLean at 14:52 and West at 18:32 to put them up 2-1 at the end of the first period. The Ravens went on to win 3-2.

Johnston singled out West’s play, who scored two goals over the weekend, calling it “outstanding.”

“He’s an unsung guy who’s been excellent for us,” Johnston said.

In their next game against the Gee-Gees the Ravens took advantage of three goals in the second period to build a 4-0 lead by the third period. Even though the Gee-Gees scored two third-period goals, the Ravens hung on for the victory.

The Ravens had difficulty killing penalties, allowing three power-play goals over both games. But Johnston said their opponents were spending less time in the Ravens’ end of the ice and were not dominating the play.

He said the power-play goals came from broken plays rather than concentrated attacks.

“Special teams have been a concern all year, we’ve spent a considerable amount of time on it,” Johnston said. “It’s actually getting better. We’re getting there. It’s a work in progress.”

With the two wins, the Ravens have reclaimed a spot in the CIS Top 10 rankings, currently sitting in ninth.

The next game for the Ravens is Jan. 10 in Kingston against the CIS seventh-ranked Queen’s University Gaels, who have not lost a game in regulation this season.

“We have to be ready for Queen’s. We face a tough test with them,” Johnston said. “We’re not focusing on the future, but just taking it day by day.”

The Ravens will return home Jan. 11 to take on the Royal Military College Paladins.