Ravens captain Brandon MacLean, left, scored the overtime game-winner against the Lakehead Thunderwolves Dec. 29. The Ravens won 4-3 before losing to the Thunderwolves in a shootout Dec. 30. (File)

The Carleton Ravens men’s hockey team hit the road Dec. 29-30 for a set of tight exhibition games at Lakehead University in Sudbury, Ont.

The Ravens beat the Lakehead Thunderwolves 4-3 in overtime Dec. 29.

“From [the coaches’] perspective, we certainly felt that the guys put in a great effort and deserved the victory,” said Ravens head coach Marty Johnston.

Johnston said the team played a strong opening period against the Thunderwolves and their second period, where the team notched two goals, was the “best period [Carleton] played all weekend.”

The Ravens fell into some familiar third period trouble when the Thunderwolves scored twice to tie the game. Lakehead took the lead for a moment late in the third before Carleton’s Jeff Hayes scored the tying goal.

Ravens captain Brandon MacLean notched the game-winner on the power play in overtime.

But the scores were reversed the following evening, as the Thunderwolves ground out a 4-3 shootout win.

“It was a good building experience and the team really came together,” said Ravens forward Jordan Deagle. “We were down three goals and we rallied back. We tied up the game and we did lose in the shootout, but I think everyone kind of agreed that the way we came together was really something and we could build off of that.”

Carleton went scoreless until the third period, where they took advantage of their power plays and scored three times. Joey Manley scored twice less than five minutes apart, soon followed by another power play goal by Hayes to tie up the game.

“It showed a lot of character in coming back and tying the game up,” Johnston said.

Deagle said Lakehead was “great” and that the Ravens were evenly matched against them.

“[They were] perfect exhibition games because we won the first game in overtime and lost [a game] in a shootout. It’s hard to find another team that closely matched,” Deagle said.

The exhibition games marked the halfway point of the men’s hockey season. They have 12 games remaining, with seven of them away from the Ice House.

Johnston said away games are always “much more difficult” but it’s a challenge they’re willing to take.

“By travelling to Lakehead, it shows the guys we can play no matter where we go,” Johnston said.

Last year, away games were a disadvantage to the team, Deagle said, but this year he said they’ve been working on their road record. He’s hoping the team peaks just in time for the playoffs.

“Last year, I think . . . we peaked just a couple weeks too early and by the time playoffs came around, we were already on the downside,” Deagle said, adding he hopes they make the right “push for nationals.”

The Ravens team racked up 600 minutes in penalties during the first half of their season — a number they’re hoping to decrease in their remaining games, Johnston said.

“We’d be lying if we said we weren’t disappointed in the first half [of the season] in the sense that . . . we could do better, and we’re really looking forward to having a great second half and hopefully that will build to a strong playoff.”