The Ravens are only one point behind the McGill University Redmen for the OUA East division lead. (Photo by Kyle Fazackerley)

The Carleton Ravens men’s hockey team picked up two more victories in a crucial weekend of their regular season Feb. 7-8, extending their winning streak to an impressive 11 games and remaining undefeated in 2014.

The victories came courtesy of an exciting performance against division rival the University of Quebec at Trois-Rivieres (UQTR) Patriotes, and a matchup against the Laurentian University Voyageurs in Sudbury the following day.

In a matchup defined by its intensity and physicality, the Ravens were able to stave off the Patriotes by a score of 5-3 and end the team’s 13-game winning streak, which head coach Marty Johnston credited largely to the team’s preparation.

“They were the hottest team in the OUA coming in, and we wanted to be ready to go. We wanted to take advantage of the home ice,” Johnston said. “We were a little bit sharper this week and we knew that we were playing our rivals here. We’ve had some history with them for the past five years,” Ravens forward and assistant captain Jeff Hayes said.

UQTR took the early lead just three and a half minutes into the game, but Carleton answered just over a minute later with a goal in the slot from Hayes off of a nice drop pass by forward Mitch Porowski.

Forward Corey Durocher then notched a power-play goal with under a minute to play in the frame, as the Ravens took a 2-1 lead into the first intermission.

The physical tone continued in the second period as Durocher was given a five-minute major penalty and a game misconduct for kneeing. The Ravens were able to fend off the long penalty, as their penalty kill was strong throughout the game.

“I think our penalty kill was the story of the game . . . I didn’t agree with the calls, but I thought our guys did a good job killing them off,” Johnston said.

The Ravens added two more goals in the second period from fourth-year forwards Tyler Taylor and Joe Pleckaitis, with the Patriotes scoring only once in the frame.

The teams then exchanged goals in the third period as the Ravens rode the strong performance delivered by goaltender Francis Dupuis.

“I thought the guys fought hard and Francis stood tall and we found a way, which is what good teams do,” Johnston said.

In their game against the Voyageurs, the Ravens came out with another strong performance and defeated the Voyageurs by a score of 4-0.

Ravens forward Damian Cross gave Carleton the lead just over five minutes into the game and they did not look back.

Porowski added another tally in the second period, before Hayes and fellow fourth-year forward Linden Bahm sealed the deal with goals in the third period.

Goaltender Ryan Dube picked up his first shutout of the season facing just 16 shots in the game, compared to 39 shots by the Ravens.

With just two games left in the regular season, the Ravens are only one point back of the McGill University Redmen for the OUA East division lead with one game in hand.

If the Ravens win both of their final games, they will finish first in the division heading into the playoffs.

To close out the season, the Ravens will travel to Kingston to take on the RMC Paladins Feb. 12 and will end the season on home ice where they will again take on the Voyageurs Feb. 15.