Photos by Julien Gignac.

The Carleton Ravens men’s hockey team added another victory Jan. 24, defeating the Nipissing Lakers 5-2.

The win stabilizes Carleton’s second place standing in the Ontario University Athletics East division, where the team is tied with the McGill Redmen, who also have a 17-5 record.

Despite the three-goal victory, the game was a close-fought battle from start to finish.

After trading chances in the opening minutes of play, the Ravens began to take it to the Lakers in the back half of the first period.

Their efforts were rewarded when Damian Cross buried the opening goal on a rebound created by line-mates Joey West and Corey Durocher.

Minutes later, the Ravens added to their lead, as Michael Lomas netted a beautiful five-hole goal on a pass from Ryan Van Stralen and Mitch Zion.

Despite dominating the first half of the game, the Lakers responded to a Ravens defensive blunder late in the first period, cutting the Ravens’ lead in half.

“Nipissing played us well, especially in the first two periods,”  Ravens head coach Marty Johnston said. “I think, at times, they frustrated us.”

At the conclusion of the first, it appeared they had their hands full with the fifth-place Lakers. This was confirmed, as the Lakers tied the score just 30 seconds into the second period.

sMHockeyNipissing21_2_JulienGignac_(WEB)

Zion said despite their strong start, the Ravens went away from that success in the second.

“I think it went well in the first period, took it to them down low, but we kind of got away from that in the second,” Zion said. “In the third period, we got back to what we were doing in the first, we got pucks to the net and they went in.”

The Ravens did just that in the third as David Weckworth opened the scoring on the penalty kill, tapping in a rebound opportunity created by Durocher’s targeted shot on the stretched pads of the Lakers goaltender.

Carleton continued its offensive later on in the period as Durocher extended his impressive night with his third point of the night, this time a goal assisted by West and Cross, making it 4-2.

Ravens forward Hayden Hulton added an empty-netter in the final minute, cementing the 5-2 victory.

Despite the victory, the Ravens power play woes continued, failing to capitalize on all four chances with a man advantage, including a 5-on-3 opportunity for a full two minutes.

It’s a problem Johnston said the team will continue to work on in practice this week.

“We just have to look at more video and try to work through it,” he said. “We’ve just got to keep trying to find solutions and not dwell on the results.”

This was echoed by Zion post-game, saying the Ravens were close tonight, narrowly missing several open nets.

“We realize in the playoffs, special teams really matter, and we want to be at our best,” Zion said.

With four games remaining in the season, the Ravens will play host to the Ryerson Rams on Jan. 30 before facing off against the University of Toronto Varsity Blues the following evening.