Carleton’s two wins at the Ice House improve their home record to 10-1-0. (Photo by Willie Carroll)

The Carleton Ravens men’s hockey team had another impressive weekend of play, extending their winning streak to seven games with victories over the Queen’s University Gaels and the University of Ontario Institute of Technology (UOIT) Ridgebacks Jan. 24-25.

In a fast-paced, tight-checking game with a playoff-like atmosphere against the Gaels, Carleton was able to hold on for the 3-2 win and continue their climb in the tight Ontario University Athletics (OUA) East division standings.

“They’re a team that we were trying to chase for the last little bit, and you know, every game is important,” Ravens head coach Marty Johnston said.

Ravens forward Joey West notched one goal against the Gaels and added another two against the Ridgebacks.

“If we can jump them in the standings that’s big for us,” West said.

After surrendering a short-handed goal in the first period, the Ravens struck back with a power-play goal courtesy of forward Joe Pleckaitis to tie the game.

Carleton and Queen’s then alternated goals in the second period, with the Ravens taking a 3-2 lead, and what would be the deciding advantage over their opponents. Pleckaitis and Damian Cross each ended the night with a goal and an assist.

Back on the ice just 24 hours after their victory over the Gaels, the Ravens came out with another strong effort to defeat the Ridgebacks by a score of 4-1.

“The first period was a little bit slow, but I thought as the game got on we were better,” Johnston said. “I think the second period was a good change for our group in terms of how we need to play.”

The Ravens took the lead just over three minutes into the game, when rookie forward Corey Durocher blocked a shot at his own blue line and scored on the ensuing breakaway.

UOIT answered with a strike of their own just two minutes later, before West showcased some impressive moves and scored from the slot midway through the frame.

West then added another tally in the second period, before Mitch Porowski sealed the deal with a goal early in the third period.

Carleton’s two wins improved their home record to 10-1-0 this season, compared to a 6-4-1 record on the road.

“You get a bit of energy from the crowd, probably more time to prepare, less time on the bus. It’s probably a bit easier and more energy at home,” West said.

The Ravens now have seven consecutive victories to open the new year, which Johnston said he chalks up primarily to his team’s depth.

“We’re playing four lines and all our six [defencemen] have roles and both goalies have contributed. We’re using everyone,” he said.

With playoff implications being a primary concern throughout the rest of their regular season play, Johnston said it is important for them to continue winning.

“All the teams in the top five are winning right now, so we’ll have to continue to do so,” he said.

The Ravens will return to action Jan. 31 when they travel to take on the Ridgebacks for the second time in a week and they return home Feb. 2 to take on the Concordia University Stingers.