The Carleton Ravens men’s hockey team split their first two games of the regular season between a pair of Kingston opponents.

The Ravens edged the Queen’s Gaels by a score of 4-3 on Oct. 7 at the Memorial Centre in Kingston.

The following night, the Ravens were upset by the Royal Military College (RMC) Paladins by a score of 5-4 at the Ice House. The defeat was Carleton’s first loss to RMC since 2008, and snapped a 16-game win streak against the Paladins, according to Ontario University Athletics Leaguestat.

The Ravens got off to a strong start against the Gaels with the first three goals in the opening frame from forwards Ryan Van Stralen, Hayden Hulton, and rookie defender Evan de Haan.

But the game was no runaway for the Ravens. A minute into the second period, Gaels forward Eric Ming scored his first goal of the season to cut the Ravens’ lead down to two.

The third period started slow, with neither team generating any offence until Carleton forward Brent Norris converted on a wrist shot from the slot to put the Ravens up 4-1.

The Ravens and Gaels continued to trade chances in the third, but both goaltenders stood tall for their respective teams.

With four minutes remaining in the game Gaels forward Slater Doggett slid the puck in the net to cut the Ravens’ lead back down to two goals.

Only three minutes later the Gaels put the game within reach when Ming scored on a feed from Ryan Bloom to make the score 4-3.

The Gaels pulled goaltender Kevin Bailie for the extra attacker, but were denied by Carleton’s defence. The Ravens were able to hold onto the lead and secure the victory.

“It’s pretty important for us to start the season on the right foot, get the first win under our belt is pretty crucial to start the season,” Van Stralen said after the game.

The Ravens were heavily favoured leading up to the game at home against RMC. Last season, the Ravens won all three matchups with the Paladins by scores of 11-0, 7-1, and 8-0, though this time RMC pulled off the 5-4 upset in front of Ravens fans.

Carleton forward Corey Durocher opened up the scoring four minutes into the period, scoring on a pass from Brett Gustavsen.

But the lead wouldn’t stand for long, as Alex Cameron scored for RMC to tie the game minutes later.

Owen Gill put the puck past Carleton goaltender Justin Nichols later in the frame to give the Paladins a lead after the first period. Despite Carleton trailing, they managed to outshoot the Paladins 12-7 in the first period.

Van Stralen scored to tie the game early in the second period, but Bruce Hornbrook replied for RMC to put them ahead 3-2.

With eight minutes left in the second period, Van Stralen converted on the power play for his second goal of the game.

Dylan Giberson scored a goal for RMC eight minutes into the final period to return the lead to the Paladins.

The goal would end the night for Nichols, who was pulled in favour of Francois Brassard.

After a roughing penalty to Van Stralen, Brent Norris scored a short handed goal to even up the game once more, but RMC defender Eric Bouchard converted on the same power play to give the Paladins the victory.

“Definitely a disappointing loss,” Van Stralen said. “I’d rather have the two points against RMC [than the two goals].”

The Ravens will look to bounce back on Oct. 14 against the Université du Québec à Trois-Rivières Patriotes.