The Carleton Ravens men’s hockey team faced the Concordia Stingers at the Ed Meagher Arena on Oct. 27 and then the next day, played the University of Ontario Institute of Technology (OUIT) Ridgebacks on home ice at the Ice House.

On Oct. 27 against Concordia the Ravens defeated the Stingers 6-3 and then the following day, won against the Ridgebacks 3-1. The two wins give the Ravens a four-point boost in the standings, as they now sit in third place in the Ontario University Athletics (OUA) East division with a record of 4-1-1.

The Ravens came out strong against the Stingers, as one minute into the first period Ravens forward Dalen Hedges corralled a pass from defenseman Evan De Haan and wired the puck past Stingers goaltender Antoine Dagenais.

Two minutes later, Concordia responded with a goal of their own when Stingers forward Massimo Corozza scored a power-play goal against Ravens goaltender Francois Brassard to tie the game, 1-1. The rest of the first period was a back-and-forth affair with no team able to add another goal to their tally.

Early in the second, the Stingers opened up the scoring after recording a short-handed goal as Stingers forward Phillipe Hudon beat Brassard to gain the lead for Concordia.

Four minutes later, Carleton tied the game as forward Jared Steege scored on the power play after a De Haan pass gave him room to shoot.

Four minutes after that, Carleton would strike again on the power play as forward Ryan Van Stralen received a pass from Steege and beat Dagenais, putting the Ravens up 3-2.

Before the period was over the Stingers were able to tie the game again when Concordia forward Alexis Pepin fired the puck past Brassard during a Concordia power play.

Carleton’s offence exploded in the third period as they recorded three goals from forwards Brett Welychka, Steege, and Brett Gustavsen to bring the game to a close as the Ravens won 6-3.

Offensively, the Ravens dominated the Stingers, outshooting them 22-3 in the second period and 43-19 over the course of the game.

“I thought [against Concordia] we were really good, we worked really hard, you know, huge heart out there especially, we get a couple guys go down and we got one guy kicked out for a fight so we were a little shorthanded, had to try and kill 11 penalties so that was really tough and taxed a lot of guys,” Ravens head coach Shaun Van Allen said after the game.

UOIT Ridgebacks

On Oct. 28 against UOIT, Carleton got on the board first when Ravens forward Fabian Walsh shot the puck past Ridgebacks goaltender Tyson Teichmann on a power play.

Three minutes into the second period, Ravens forward Alexandre Boivin scored a short-handed goal when he took a pass from forward Wyatt Noskey on a two-on-one rush up the ice.

Seconds later, UOIT answered back with a power-play goal of their own as forward Loren Ulett wired a shot past Brassard and into the net.

Before the first period could end Walsh notched his second goal of the game beating the UOIT goaltender after a set-up pass from Adam Chapman.

“Well, four points, I’d take four points every weekend . . . we were expecting a little being tired [against UOIT], but we don’t want to use that as an excuse. It’s just too easy and we found a way to win and that’s huge,” Van Allen said about the weekend games.

The Ravens play their next games at home in the Ice House on Nov. 3 and 4 as they take on the Nipissing Lakers and Laurentian Voyageurs.

Photo by Trevor Swann