The Carleton Ravens men’s hockey team defeated the University of Guelph Gryphons 3-1 on Oct. 26, and scored four unanswered goals in a 4-1 win over the Brock University Badgers on Oct. 27.

Against Guelph, Ravens goaltender Justin Nichols made his second start of the season.

Neither team ended up scoring in the first period of play, as the teams headed to the locker room with the Gryphons having outshot the Ravens 12-8.

The Ravens opened the scoring eight minutes into the second period, as Gryphons defenceman Zach McFadden scored an own goal as he pushed the puck past goaltender Evan Cormier. Ravens forward Brett Gustavsen was credited with the goal.

The Ravens extended their lead to 2-0 when forward Alexandre Boivin pounced on the rebound and sent the puck sailing past Cormier.

Three minutes into the final period of play, Gryphons forward Stephen Hiff fired the puck past Nichols to get his team on the board.

Eight minutes later, Ravens forward Matthew Forchuk earned a breakaway chance, scoring on Cormier to increase Carleton’s two goal lead.

Despite being outshot 34-23, the Ravens ended up coming away with the 3-1 victory.

The Ravens faced off against the Brock Badgers the following night. Badgers forward Jared Marino opened the scoring early in the first period to give Brock a 1-0 lead heading into the second period.

Halfway through the second period, Carleton tied the game at one apiece as forward Cody Caron fired a wrist shot past Badgers goalie Logan Thompson.

Early into the final period, Ravens forward Jake Smith gave the Ravens their first lead of the game as he sent the puck sailing past Thompson and into the net.

Five minutes later, the Ravens extended their lead to 3-1 as forward Jared Steege scored his second goal of the season.

The Ravens would add their fourth and final goal four minutes later, as Boivin and Smith went on a two-on-one with Boivin capitalizing to send the puck past Thompson.

With three unanswered goals in the third, and having outshot the Badgers 44-28, the Ravens completed the road trip sweep beating the Badgers by a final score of 4-1.

The Ravens will now look to extend their winning streak when they face off against the Queen’s University Gaels and the Royal Military College of Canada (RMC) Paladins on Nov. 2 and 3, respectively.

Photo by Tim Austen