Before the hustle and bustle of campus life returns in September, Carleton Ravens men’s football team hit the field in the pale morning sun, for their first day of training camp.

Intense drills, play calls and sweltering heat, it was a tough two days for the new and returning players alike.

Chad Manchulenko cools himself off with a water bottle shower. [Photo by Tim Austen]
Veteran backup quarterback Tanner Dejong took a minute to impart some sage advice to the two rookie quarterbacks.

“It’s going to come fast, try to take it as slow as you can, and learn every day. Take lots of notes, that’s the most important thing, but try and be confident, you got to show you’re confident in front of everyone else,” Dejong told them.

Lots of turnover, hopefully only for the roster.

New recruit Hono Iloki, younger brother of Phil Iloki, stretches for an extra yard. [Photo by Tim Austen]
This season will be one of transition for the Ravens, with the departures of two-time All Canadian headliner Kene Onyeka to the CFL draft. Veteran Kicker Michael Domagala signed with the Hamilton Tiger Cats, and starting Quarterback Michael Arruda has left football for personal reasons.

The team has retained defensive OUA All-Stars Tevin Bowen, Jonathan Edouard and Jack Cassar, while CFL draft pick Phil Iloki also elected to stay for his fifth-year option.

While the losses can be difficult for the team, new players bring new opportunities. The team had a top-rated recruiting class nationally. While their top-ranked recruit, quarterback Dylan Tabone will not join the team due to an ACL tear, the team will still have multiple new highly-touted recruits on offence and defence.

Lawson masks up one last time at Carleton. [Photo by Tim Austen]
Jesse Lawson, a fifth-year guard says he senses something different about this year.

“We always say our goal is to win the Yates and eventually the Vanier. So, whatever we got to do to get there, I mean, we got some guys who want to take it far. So, just try and win as much as possible and get past that semi-final hurdle right now,” Lawson said.

Fellow veteran Tanner Dejong sees that the team has a different make up, but says that’s a positive thing.

“I think this year more than anything, I think we’re more a unit, one unit, a family almost. But last year we didn’t agree as much. Maybe this year, we’re all on the same page and we know what we want to do.”

Who’s in at QB?

Potential starting Quarterback Giordy Belfiore on day one of camp. [Photo by Tim Austen]
The biggest question mark on the roster is who will come in as the starting quarterback. Right now, the answer seems to be Giordy Belfiore, who played for Carleton, but took last season off.

Belfiore took the majority of first team snaps on day one and two of camp. But, Dejong did see some first team action as well. During walk-throughs, it was mostly Belfiore; in active drills, Dejong would sub in after an errant pass or missed cadence from the incumbent.

Head Coach Steve Sumurah wasn’t ready to say it was unequivocal.

“Right now, obviously we’re still evaluating and so what. But right now, the guy in the number one spot is Giordy Belfiore.”

Dejong also didn’t see it as a done deal.

The new roster gets two thumbs from Tanner Dejong. [Photo by Tim Austen]
“I think right now Giordy’s number one and I’m number two, but I’m not sure. I’m pretty sure it’s up for in competition, at least that’s what I think, so just trying to have a good day,” Dejong said.

The competition does not seem to be dividing the team, and the unknown variable of the starting QB doesn’t impact practice, per fifth-year receiver and returner Chad Manchulenko.

“Not at all. We just build the chemistry each and every single day. Coach throws the receivers in with different quarterbacks all the time. So, we really don’t even know who we’re throwing with until we get onto the field,” Manchulenko said after the first day of practice.

“We just build the camaraderie and the timing down with every single quarterback we got.”

No Domagala—No Problem

Kieran Flannery-Fleck attempts a field goal in practice, his specialty. [Photo by Tim Austen]
Michael Domagala departs the team after a storied career at Carleton, including a walk-off field goal Panda game win. Domagala has left the team, but not a void, according to head Coach Sumurah.

“Mike was a veteran guy and brought a lot to the game, but we have two young guys who are competing for the position—Kieran Flannery-Fleck and Vincent Plouffe—and we’re excited by both of them,” he said, adding that both of them have “great legs.”

Head Coach Steve Sumurah directs the troops at camp. [Photo by Tim Austen]
Flannery-Fleck said he transferred from his old school Queen’s to “take advantage of Domagala’s departure”, among other reasons  to join Carleton.

So far, he is enjoying following in the footsteps of his former mentor.

“It’s good. I found out pretty much a couple days ago that I’m wearing number four [Domagala’s old number],” he said. “He was pretty hyped that I got his number because I knew him from high school.”

Domagala had previously coached Flannery-Fleck during the AIA all-star game in high school.

A storyline to watch will be who starts as kicker-punter and whether they split the duties.

Flannery-Fleck is more of a field goal specialist, while Plouffe is more of a punter and kick-off specialist.

Vincent Plouffe attempts a punt in practice, his specialty. [Photo by Tim Austen]
Either way, it will be an emotional week one for Flannery-Fleck as he travels to his former school, Queen’s, for his first game in a Carleton jersey.

One to Watch: Melique Straker

Malique Straker (#21) stares down his target in a tackling drill. [Photo by Tim Austen]
Out of camp there was unanimous praise for one player: Melique Straker, a defensive back in his first year with the team. Head Coach Sumurah and Manchulenko both tipped him as a camp standout, since he had several interceptions in active drills.
Sheldon Watson at camp on day two. [Photo by Tim Austen]
In general, the crop of defensive backs were turning heads at camp and will be a strong point for the team this year.

Flannery-Fleck pointed to another standout, Sheldon Watson as he watched defence and offence do battle from the sidelines.

“Watch out for (Watson), man. He could be starting this year. He could be an all-Canadian. He’s going to be nasty,” Flannery-Fleck said.

“I would say this is the most athletic group I’ve ever been around. We have a lot of freaks on all sides of the ball, including special teams, obviously, and fast, aggressive, smart,” he added.

Head Coach Sumurah agrees with Flannery-Fleck’s assessment of the defensive backs.

“We have a nice, young group this year that has a lot of energy and is excited about what they can offer,” Sumurah said.

Feature image by Tim Austen.