For the second year in a row since its revival, Carleton’s men’s curling team is heading to nationals.

“I think if we all come out and play well, we could win it for sure,” said team skip Brett Lyon-Hatcher.

The third-year commerce student is headed to Kamloops, B.C. this weekend, along with vice Ben Miskew, second Greg Bridges and lead Cole Lyon-Hatcher.

Lyon-Hatcher said he’s confident this year’s squad will improve on last year’s showing at the Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS) championships, when the men’s team only won two of seven games in round robin play.

“As long as we’re having a really good week, I think we have a good chance at the finals,” Lyon-Hatcher said.

But the team will face some tough competition.

Alberta’s Brendan Bottcher will be in Kamloops defending his CIS champion title from last year.

Bottcher, who also won the World Juniors last year, skips the University of Alberta team, which defeated Carleton 9-4 in round robin play last year.

“He’s obviously going to come out strong,” Lyon-Hatcher said. “If we can get through that game I think we’re pretty good.”

Coach Art Miskew said one of the challenges of playing at the national level is the unfamiliarity with the competition.

“They don’t know all the teams, because they haven’t seen them all year,” Miskew said.

“I think if we play as well as we can, we’ll give everybody a scare there,” he added.

And Miskew points out that making it out of Ontario is a victory in itself, given the size and competitiveness of the province.

“Getting to the nationals is quite the accomplishment,” Miskew said. “This year I thought it was even tougher.”

Last month, the men’s team eked out a win over the Queen’s Gaels in an extra end to secure the final spot at the national championships.

Carleton’s women’s curling team narrowly missed making the CIS finals this year, losing to the University of Guelph in the bronze medal match.