The Carleton Ravens men’s basketball team took on the Guelph Gryphons and Lakehead Thunderwolves for their first road trip of the regular season. Carleton went into the game tied with the University of Ottawa (U of O) for first place in the standings—both teams are undefeated. The Guelph Gryphons had a record of 1-1.

The Ravens were in control of the game for the entire first half, not allowing Guelph to take the lead. Guelph did, however, manage to keep up with Carleton. The Ravens took 13 fouls, many of which resulted in the Gryphons on the line. In the first half of the game, the Gryphons sank 14 out of 17 free throws (82.4 per cent).

“We have to stop fouling—especially early in the game—because it allows the other team to get confidence at the free throw line,” said Kaza Kajami-Keane, Carleton’s lead scorer of the night. “It also hinders us from doing something we are better at, which is transitioning.”

This was a point the coaches placed a lot of emphasis on after the game. The Ravens said they realized that although it did not affect the outcome of their game against Guelph, teams such as cross-city rivals—the undefeated U of O Gee-Gees—could really do some damage if given similar opportunities.

The first half ended with the Ravens leading 45-25 over the Gryphons.

Ravens fifth-year forward Guillaume Payen Boucard returned after missing the first two regular season games due to an injury.

“I was happy to be able to compete again with my team,” he said. “I was nervous at first, but felt more comfortable quickly as the game went on. With this type of injury I am glad I only had to miss two games.”

His injury did not seem to have any impact on him, as he put up six points in the first half of the game.

The Ravens showed up during the second half looking completely refreshed, but the Gryphons were visibly exhausted and worn down by the Ravens. During the third quarter, the Ravens were able to force many turnovers and took a lot more shots on net.

Guelph’s Jonathan Wallace fouled out during the fourth quarter. Wallace contributed eight points for the Gryphons. Out of 53 shots, Guelph made 16, their field goal percentage was 30.2 per cent. Carleton was 32-72, making their average 44.4 per cent.

The Carleton Ravens defeated the Guelph Gryphons 85-59, and continued their perfect record to 3-0.

Newcomer Kajami-Keane was the top performer of the night. He put up an impressive 26 points, four rebounds, and four assists. Kajami-Keane seems to be having no problem adjusting to the Ravens basketball program.

“The adjustment is going well so far because I am getting a lot of help through it,” Kajami-Keane said.

He credited his teammates and coaches for all their help with the transition from the National Collegiate Athletic Association to the Ontario University Athletics.

They left for Thunder Bay in the morning to take on Lakehead University (1-2), looking to keep their win streak going.

“We play another physical team tomorrow, so we know we have got to be mentally and physically prepared the best way we can,” Payen Boucard said.

When asked if the team was concerned about the travel schedule affecting their game against the Thunderwolves, Payen Boucard said they “can’t really let it be an excuse.” He said he knows other teams are in the same situation.

“We are just going to have to take care of our bodies as much as we can and give everything we’ve got on the floor,” he said.

The Ravens did just that, continuing their strong play and defeating the Lakehead Thunderwolves 93-62.

The Ravens began the game scoring 31 points in the first quarter led largely by Payen Boucard and Kajami-Keane. The

Thunderwolves used their three-point shot to keep them in the game. They hit six three-pointers leading to all 18 of their first quarter points.

The Thunderwolves managed to hold the Ravens defensively in the second quarter. The Ravens still managed to come away with a solid lead, part of which was attributed to a big three by centre Cameron Smythe. The Ravens were up 50-37 at the half.

The Ravens returned with a newfound defensive intensity, holding the Thunderwolves to six points.

The Ravens closed out the fourth quarter scoring 25 points and finishing the game with a 93-62 victory. This improved the Ravens’ record to a perfect 4-0.

The Ravens will next face the Algoma Thunderbirds on Nov. 20 at the Ravens Nest.