It was another big weekend for the Carleton men’s basketball team going 2-0 against Ontario University Athletics East Divisional rivals, Laurentian University Voyageurs and Nipissing University Lakers. 

The 87-56 and 116-38 results improved Carleton’s records to 10-0 on the season for the fourth straight year. 

The themed “Drake Night” on Nov. 29 saw the much anticipated match up between two time defensive player of the year Marcus Anderson and two time U Sports MVP Kadre Gray of the Voyageurs. 

The game stayed close for the first half with the Ravens and the Voyageurs changing leads. As the second quarter began, things started slipping for Laurentian as Carleton pulled away.

Overtime, the Ravens used some crew strength, as substitutes came in during the second half to hold the lead.

The motto was to keep the ball out of his Gray’s hands nonstop and Carleton was successful, limiting him to only 20 points compared to his season average of 24.

“I try to stay a bit calmer because I know there’s a lot of hype built up around [the match up],” said Anderson after the game. “I try to just trust my teammates because it’s not just one on one.”

Ravens head coach Taffe Charles doesn’t like to build the hype around the two players.

“Obviously that’s the narrative we like to focus on, but really it’s about five guys playing five guys.”

Teammates for five years and close friends with Anderson, guard Stanley Mayambo has seen a progression in Carleton’s leading man on the court.

“He’s got a match up every night.” Mayambo said “He always has that kind of focus and he enjoys that, seeing him and seeing how he gets locked in–that gets me locked in.”

The matchup against Nipissing on Nov. 30 saw the Ravens blow the game wide open, winning by 78 points–their second highest lead of the year. 

The Ravens allowed only two points in the first quarter, their lowest total so far this season.

The deep bench of talent saw the substitutes give the starters the night off. Up 27 after the end of the first quarter, the starters then came out to gain some extra playing time. 

With the matchup against rivals the University of Ottawa Gee-Gees coming up on Dec. 4 and finals looming, keeping the stress low and bearing down on school will be important. 

“You just gotta be disciplined,” Mayambo explained. “Not spending time in your day doing stuff you shouldn’t be doing. It’s not really a crazy formula for that, just being smart.”

This means balancing exams with practice can result in some long days. 

Prior to the game against Laurentian, point guard Alain Louis got to school at 8:30 a.m. for class, had a morning shoot around and studied for four hours before getting dressed to warm up and then play. It was 9:30 p.m. at the time of the interview and he had more to do before going home. 

While these demands can be hard on the players, Charles explained the team has tutors and academic counselling for anyone who might be struggling.

Louis sees the challenges finds energy in studying all day but basketball acts as the light at the end of the tunnel. 

“I’m sitting there and I’m thinking to myself, ‘Okay I got to do this now but tonight I get to play,’ Louis said. “I’m looking forward to it all day.”

Academic success looks different for everyone, in his fifth year on the team Mayambo has been impressed with the young players attitude.

“We’ve got some pretty hard working not just on the floor. But off the floor, Aidan, Lloyd, Connor guys like that,” Mayambo said. “We’re supposed to be the guys preaching that but they’re doing a little bit better job than us.”

A three-time national champion on the court, Mayambo understands the ins and outs of the seasons. Exams being one, he has constantly been preaching to his young teammates that the season is long and focus is an every day thing.

“We got to understand that winning by 70 or 80 and stuff is not what’s going to happen at the end of the year.”

The team will continue to practice until Dec. 18 before heading into their holiday break.

Feature image from file.