The Carleton University Ravens are OUA champions with a 90-68 win over the Western University Mustangs on Feb. 29th. Winning their twelfth Wilson Cup in 18 years and third in a row.

But there’s no time to celebrate for Carleton, as the hunt continues with U Sports CIS Final 8 Championships looming just five days away.

The Mustangs went toe-to-toe with the Ravens until partway through the fourth quarter. After going on a seven-point run and coming within four of Carleton’s lead, a timeout turned the tables as the Ravens rebounded for 11 consecutive points, going up 75-60.

While the scoring gap between the teams remained largely the same for the rest of the fourth quarter, the win was clearly in Carleton’s hands.

“We managed to fight our way through and find a breakthrough,” said Lloyd Pandi, who led the Ravens with 18 points and won Player of the Game.

Yasiin Joseph (left) and Lloyd Pandi have been influential players all season for the Ravens. [Photo by Spencer Colby]
 “It just gives us confidence going into Nationals.”

“I call [Pandi] the Wolverine,” said Ravens head coach Taffe Charles, “He’s really tenacious in there.”

Meanwhile Eriq Jenkins led the Mustangs with 27 points, his effort wasn’t enough to close the gap.

“We just played Carleton on their home court,” said Mustangs head coach Brad Campbell. “It doesn’t get more difficult than that. . . . this is uncharted territory for our guys.”

In front of a sold out crowd at the Ravens Nest, Carleton ended the first quarter up 22-20, and up by six at halftime. Isiah Osborne scored 16 points and Alain Louis scored 13.

“It helped us unite as a unit,” said Pandi. “We’re gonna be locked in [for nationals]. We know a lot of teams are coming after us.”

The Ravens have added pressure this year with the city of Ottawa hosting nationals this year.[Photo by Spencer Colby].
As nationals approach, the key for the Ravens will be video. Charles said the team will watch three to four games of each team they may face at TD Place next weekend, catching up and learning how they play.

“It’s gonna be a lot of sleepless nights,” said Charles. “Right about this time, it’s about winning by one.”

“We’re ready for it,” said Pandi. “We have a really good team and we know that teams are trying to come for the throne. . . . we’re not satisfied because, of course, we want another championship.”

The men’s quarterfinals for the U-Sports Final 8 start March 6 at TD Place. The gold medal game will be March 8 at 8 p.m.

“We take winning championships for granted . . . We don’t want to take things for granted,” said Charles. “At Carleton, it’s not a great year until we win.”

Feature image by Spencer Colby.