Ravens guard Elliot Thompson commended the struggling RMC basketball team for playing hard despite losing 120-38 to Carleton. (Photo by: Pedro Vasconcellos)

The Carleton Ravens men’s basketball team continued its winning ways Jan. 21, crushing the Royal Military College of Canada (RMC) Paladins by a score of 120-38. The game marked the second time this season the Ravens scored more than 100 points en route to victory.

“We just keep playing, keep doing what we do, keep playing hard as a team and trying to get better every possession,” said fifth-year forward Elliot

Thompson about breaking the century mark. “I don’t think the guys were looking at the scoreboard that much.”

They didn’t need to, either. Empowered by a 65-point opening half, Carleton took the lead early and never looked back. The Ravens finished with a 55-10 edge in rebounding over RMC, who remain winless this season and sit in eighth place in the Ontario University Athletics (OUA) East division.

“RMC has been struggling over the past few years,” Thompson said. “I think they played really hard and I have so much respect for the guys coming out every day and playing as hard as they do.”

First-year forward Justin Shaver led the Ravens in scoring, pouring in 18 points and 12 rebounds off the bench. Third-year forward Dan Penner also contributed 15 points to the victory, to go along with 12 rebounds of his own.

The scoring was done by committee for the Ravens, as points were very evenly spread out through the lineup. The team finished with eight players scoring in the double digits, despite giving reduced minutes to a few starters, including Thompson, second-year guard Philip Scrubb and fifth-year guard Cole Hobin.

“We were up a bit and I think it was an opportunity for the young guys to go in and prove how hard they’ve been working all year, and that they can play with any [Canadian Interuniversity Sport] team and how they can improve,” Thompson said. “I think it was a great opportunity for them, as well.”

The Paladins, meanwhile, got their offence through James Byun and Alexandre Lavoie, who both scored 11 points in the defeat. RMC had trouble getting any scoring going at all, as they were held to three points in the third quarter and 10 points in the entire second half. Despite this, Thompson said he felt that there’s still work to be done.

“Defensively, we didn’t do as well as we should have,” he said. “We made some fundamental mistakes that, if we’re going to be playing teams down the stretch that are more talented, we’re not going to be able to come back as easily from the deficits.”

The Ravens also benefitted from strong offensive play Jan. 20, as they defeated the Queen’s Gaels 96-64. Thompson’s offence exploded for 25 points, including seven three-pointers, and Scrubb contributed 19 points for the Ravens in the victory.

“I got hot for a bit,” Thompson said. “But guys like [Hinz] and [Scrubb] kind of make it easy on me by throwing a lot to the center. Then, I would end up open and I just had to get my feet set and shoot it. They make it pretty easy on me. If I get open, I’ll shoot it.”

Forward Ryan Golden scored 17 points for the Gaels in a losing effort. Queen’s is now also winless on the season, sitting in seventh in their division.

The Ravens will face the York Lions in their next match Jan. 27 at the Ravens’ Nest.