Photos by Willie Carroll.

The highly anticipated match between the Carleton Ravens men’s basketball team and the McMaster Marauders on Nov. 8 resulted in a 92-75 win for the Ravens.

This was the second win for the team, after defeating the Brock Badgers on Nov. 7. The Ravens came out with a strong 106-58 win.

The Ravens had some exciting plays from the beginning of the first quarter of the Marauders game, according to fifth-year forward Thomas Scrubb.

“We got up to a pretty big lead to start the game,” Scrubb said. “We knew they were going to be a tough team.”

Jean-Emmanuel Pierre-Charles, who was a strong contributor to the early lead and finished with 13 points, came out of the game early on after crashing into the Charlatan advertisement board, but was able to return after a short break.

The first 10 minutes ended in a 30-17 lead for the Ravens.

By the second quarter, McMaster nearly caught up to the Ravens, trailing by 10 points, but it was not enough to take the lead. The first half ended with a score of 46-36.

In the third quarter, McMaster only managed to advance by 10 points, while the Ravens kept the momentum going to finish the quarter with a 28-point lead.

sMBball14_1_WillieCarroll_(WEB)The fourth quarter was marked by a controversial foul against Ravens guard Philip Scrubb, causing commotion on the Ravens’ bench.

The commotion died down after Aaron Redpath of the Marauders fouled him, resulting in a series of four free throws, three of which were successful.

The Ravens again pushed forward to win the game, only allowing the Marauders to score through foul shots.

Philip Scrubb led the scoring with an impressive 32 points, while Thomas Scrubb was not far behind with 22. Philip, who also led the Brock game with 33 points, said the team brought the same effort both nights.

“We have to work on the same intensity every game because we don’t want to go into a game, no matter who we play, and think it’s going to be be easy,” he said.

Thomas Scrubb said the Marauders were a strong opponent as opposed to the Badgers, and the Ravens came out big against them.

“McMaster is a lot more skilled and athletic [than Brock], so we were really focused . . . we weren’t as afraid of them as we were of McMaster,” Thomas Scrubb said.

Philip Scrubb agreed with his brother, saying it was an on-point start to the season.

“The first two games are pretty important, and you see how you measure up to some of the other teams,” he said. “Obviously, McMaster is ranked in the top five and it was a good test for us, and I thought we played pretty well.”

Philip Scrubb highlighted what his team has to do is to keep competing.

“I think just getting more competitive and being tougher on the defensive end,” he said.

The Ravens will now go on the road to take on the Nipissing Lakers on Nov. 14 and the Laurentian Voyageurs on Nov. 15.